CHAPTER 36

When Gale launched the attack all madness broke out, and James's mission stood fast. Now he didn't just have to kill her, he wanted to. She deserved it, if she thinks this is right. His people just wanted to live in peace, and they were disturbing that peace. He was right to leave the shapeshifters.

But how on earth would he be able to kill the witch? He hung back for a moment, because he knew she would blast the first five rows into oblivion. And she did, there was a blinding golden light and pretty much everyone in the first two rows were very dead. James was thrown back and his ears were ringing loudly.

But he got up, only to see Gale throwing yellow fire into everyone. She really did make Commander Schoorel taste her fire. He was dead, one of the very first people dead in this battle. His helmet was thrown off and his face melted to his skull, at least that was what James could see from here.

He stared at Gale, she was deadly and killing everyone in metal armor she laid her eyes on. He wanted this to be one on one, him and her. So James waited in the background, waited for the right time to strike, waited for Gale to get tired and show weakness. That time never came. He knew he had to go now, it was the humans only chance for victory, and also his only chance for King Alberich to not kill him. A fight for his honor, glory and loyalty. He ran forward past the elites she was killing by the dozens.

"Champion Gale! I challenge you as the Champion of The Human Race! Let's finish this!" He yelled at her, his swords at hand. She grinned wildly at him.

A ring of fire pushed everyone except James out. They were in their own little arena where one of them was going to die. And he wasn't going to let that be him, he drew his bow and shot an arrow at her. It missed one of the openings and bounced off of her yellow armor. She looked like a being of fire, and she was.

She whirled her staff and shot small fireballs at him from every angle. He was one of the few people with fire resistant armor, but it still pushed him back. He dodged and wove, only to be hit with more firepower. He realized he couldn't win.

She toyed around with him, using fire whips and other flame weapons. Luckily Anita had given him special swords made of gold to match his flame resistant armor, that were also fire resistant and refused to melt when they met her fire swords.

She kept going, tiring him out. He knew she could have killed him a long time ago, but she was clearly toying with him. Making this last forever so it hurts. At least he tried, at least he could die and his king would know he was loyal enough to take on the girl he could never beat.

He wouldn't yield, he was going to die today and he wasn't going to give up and be assassinated by his king in his sleep. Gale wasn't tiring, she barely even tried while James was fighting for his life.

Eventually she was done playing and tripped him with her staff. She rested her crystal boot on his chest and leaned down to snarl in his face; "You think you can just leave? Wrong. Oh I want to kill you, oh I want to so badly. But I will show mercy to you. Go get your king and tell him I want to face him here, if you come back empty handed I will get my wish. To slaughter you."

She got off of him and glared at him as he ran through the battlefield. He came to the castle and started climbing staircase after staircase until he came upon King Alberich's quarters. He knocked on the large door. No answer.

So he spoke; "This is your champion, your majesty. The shapeshifting champion let me live to give you a message that she challenges you for the right to the throne of Nemus. She is on the battlefield and has ordered her soldiers to let you live to face her."

"You failed, go back out and kill her like I ordered you to!" the king screamed through the door.

So this was how it ended. He was officially a traitor, and he was going to die at the bloodthirsty hands of his former friend. He accepted this fate and walked down the stairs, his heart heavy.