CHAPTER 35

When Gale had given the sign to attack, she knew she was ready. She set off the largest flaming explosion she could muster the moment the attack launched. She knew she had killed dozens of people with it, and she didn't care. She was the kind of person made for battle, ready to kill and know the cost.

This could be seen as a bad thing, but in this war it was the best thing a champion could do. She started just blasting every which-way, killing tens of people by the second. She felt alive, sending out all of her emotions and energy into flaming death and glory. Her anger at the humans, her hope for the new world, and her love and fear for Fern.

She made sure Fern was at her side, to protect her at all costs. As she whirled and twirled around her staff, sending out waves and bullets of fire into her enemies, she was planning. If this was her or Fern's last day, she wanted her to know her feelings. How would she say it? That was the big question she just kept asking herself as she and her crush stood back to back, Gale fighting for both of them.

The moment turned into minutes as she killed human after human, advancing herself and her army forward. There was no way the humans could win against the shapeshifters now, even with their lesser gear. They had their animal forms, Anthony, and Gale on their side. The fight was nowhere near fair, but they insisted on fighting it anyway.

Humans really are foolish creatures. Foolish creatures with a thirst for power and blood. She thought, seeing Commander Schoorel's corpse under foot. His helmet was thrown off and Gale could see she had burned the skin off of his face and what was skin was there was a blackened and melted heap.

It satisfied her. Blake was dead, and now the king must now either die or hand rulership to the shapeshifters. She never learned his name, but she knew him well enough without it.

Anthony was fighting beside her, making small plants and gusts of wind occasionally, as it was very hard to do when dead. Nobody knew what was hitting them anymore, but they could guess. The humans shouted that their god was angry with them and fighting for the shapeshifters, while the shapeshifters rejoiced in the middle of battle.

James is coming, he wants to fight you. Show him mercy, ask for King Alberich. You can do what you like with him after he does. Anthony ordered his former apprentice. Gale nodded and asked Fern to go with the others, she had business to attend to.

James shouted at her with his golden swords drawn; "Champion Gale! I challenge you as The Champion of The Human Race! Let's finish this!" She grinned at him and set a fire circle around them, forcing anyone to help him or her out.

He sheathed his swords and brought out a blue bow, and shot an arrow at her. Petty move, too scared to get close to her. She was confident enough to just watch it as it bounced off her crystal armor. She grinned at him again and started spinning her staff, shooting fire darts at him. She had control over the ones that missed and had them double back to hit his sides.

She didn't want to just kill him, she wanted to make him suffer. She knew what Anthony had said, but she was going to make it seem like she wanted to kill him slowly. Just to make him go through the battle and once more back to his filthy king. Make him lose hope of living but force him to anyway.

His gold armor and weapons were clearly made fireproof, so she had the chance to toy with him longer. The humans had clearly underestimated her ability, because she could kill him right now if she really wanted to. She knew she could, and she wanted to so badly, so she would just have to settle for playing with him now and getting the real prize, his precious king.

She mocked him, using different weapons of fire until she got bored of it. The light in his green eyes under his helmet had gone out a long time ago. He had given up and was now only fighting in clear vain, though he always was. He had just said goodbye to his life, and now he had to keep living it.