V. The quality of mercy

I waltzed out of the building with a fading smile on my face. I began to worry on how well I did, I did everything they asked and even a tad more just to look better. Which I hoped work and didn't seem like I was trying too hard, I tied up my long black coat and began my walk 'home'. The streets filled with teenagers and people on dates. Old men and women walking on the cobble stone road, as the faint sound of Elvis played in the background of a bar along did the sound of sloppy laughter from the same building.

I saw boys riding in cars sticking their head out windows and their girlfriends swooning over their bravery or their masked stupidity. I was jealous of them I wanted a normal life, I was blessed to have a well off family but the rules that came with it were harsh, mainly on mental health, and expectations. I felt trapped and unsure of who I was, sometimes questioning myself if I even was a person or some lab rat.

I walked around getting cat called from a few of the local teen boys, I didn't mind it was a change of how my life was. I would give the odd wave back but never indicating I was interested. As the night grew darker it began to get colder and my clothes were not the thickest. The walk was around half an hour and I would say I was half way. I gripped my small black bag which held my prideful contents of my ballet uniforms, all worn in.

I almost sprinted into the building as the cold kept getting colder. I embraced the warm atmosphere that rushed over my cool body. The room was warm filled with old antique memories of past years that Wellton had collected, from countless winnings against other schools.

I started to untie my coat, as I did I looked at my watch "9:57" it read. I tucked away the few strands of loose hair behind my ears as I let out a cool shiver. I've never been more glad to be back at Wellton than right now.

I walked through the hallways humming a oddly familiar tune day dreaming again of what my future would be like. I wasn't sure what I wanted to do or what I was even capable of setting myself up for. I wasn't sure if I should play it safe and listen to my parents or do something so absurd even I would question myself if I did.  It seems my only two pass time thoughts these days were Charlie or my future, but yet Charlie still involved himself in both of them whether he knew it or not.

I hiked up the stairs into my shared room, I opened the door to Eloise curled up in her bed with a book, her face filled with thrill and excitement. Leaping off the bed she ran to me in her dark blue pajamas that made he frosty white skin glow. 

"Do you know what you're reading?" I asked putting my coat down and grabbing my pajamas and thicker clothes, heading back towards the door only awaiting for Eloise to respond, she knew exactly what I meant by that question.

"Yes, something for Neil" She gushed making me roll my eyes. She was love sick for him, but yet I didn't know if he reciprocated his emotions towards her back just yet, it seemed like he did though but not at the same time.

"Blah" I said fake barfing causing us both to laugh as I closed the door and walked to the washrooms to change, but not into my nightwear, but into warmer clothes. Charlie said him and Neil would come pick us up around 11:30 and would knock four times just to be on the safe side just in case we opened the door to the wrong people and were all dressed up.

-

I laid in bed anticipating the arrival of two of my peers. Unsure of how they would manage to distract the guard dog without it alarming Dr. Hager. The clock struct 11:25 and I was sat straight up almost stalking the door awaiting to hear the four knocks from my friends, as did Eloise. The room seemed even more dull, I could faintly see the dust partials filter throughout the room through the shimmer of moon light. I could see the brown lamp shade that was so worn it was practically disintegrated into nothing. Everything at Wellton was either brown or a lighter variation of brown.