Chapter 18

"I take no joy in this Raven," Lexa spoke. "But this time justice will be done."

"I didn't do it, how's this justice," Raven said with tears in her eyes.

As everyone filed out of the room, a heavy, ominous air followed us. The gravity of the situation was palpable, weighing down each step with dread. Exiting into the open, we were met with a sight that chilled the blood in our veins. Members of the village, their faces etched with a mix of anger, grief, and a grim sense of duty, had lined up in a somber procession. Each villager held a knife, its blade glinting ominously in the dim light. The scene was surreal, like a macabre ritual from a bygone era, each person waiting for their turn to administer justice as they saw it. The air was thick with tension, the silence punctuated only by the shuffling of feet and the occasional clink of metal.

One by one, they stepped forward, their movements deliberate and solemn. The act of delivering cuts from their knives was not just a physical action but a symbolic gesture of their pain and loss, a communal sharing of suffering that had been thrust upon them. The blades, though small, were wielded with a somber precision, each cut a testament to the deep scars that the conflict had left on the community. The atmosphere was heavy with a mix of emotions - sorrow, rage, resignation. For the villagers, this was more than retribution; it was a painful, tangible expression of their anguish. For us, it was a harrowing spectacle, a stark reminder of the brutal realities of our situation and the deep divisions that had been sown. As each villager took their turn, the air seemed to grow colder, the sense of despair deeper. The grim procession continued, each cut a stark symbol of the fractured world we all inhabited, a world where justice and vengeance were indistinguishably intertwined.

Bellamy, his face a portrait of urgency and resolve, took a decisive step forward, as if to intervene in the grim spectacle unfolding before us. But Kane, his expression a mix of sorrow and pragmatism, swiftly held him back. "We can't," he whispered, his voice barely audible yet laden with the heavy truth of their impotence in this situation.

Octavia, her eyes reflecting a mix of desperation and hope, turned to Lincoln. "Lincoln, talk to them. These are your people," she implored, her voice tinged with a plea for action.

Lincoln's response was quiet but resolute. "Not anymore," he said, his words cutting through the tense air as he made his way over to Nyko. Their conversation was brief, their expressions solemn and intense. Whatever words were exchanged, they remained a silent pact between the two men.

Upon his return, Lincoln's face was unreadable, a mask hiding the inner turmoil or resolution that the conversation had stirred. It was clear, however, that the situation remained unchanged, the grim ritual continuing unabated.

Suddenly, Abby's voice pierced the tense atmosphere from above. "Kegan, we need to move now," she called out, urgency evident in her tone.

Her words pulled me back from the edge of despair, but a sense of helplessness gripped me tightly. "I can't save anyone," I whispered to myself, a silent confession borne from the depths of my soul. I sank down, my gaze sweeping across the room, each face a reminder of the dire circumstances we were entangled in.

The room felt smaller, the air thicker, as if the walls were closing in on us. The reality of our predicament, the weight of decisions made and actions taken, seemed to converge in that moment. A heavy silence enveloped me, the quiet before the storm, as I sat there, grappling with the magnitude of what was unfolding and the daunting path that lay ahead. As I sat there, head buried in my hands, the events of the day replayed in my mind like a haunting refrain. The pieces didn't fit. Raven's alleged involvement made no sense to me; she was too astute, too careful to make such a reckless move. Yet, I could also grasp Lexa's perspective. By sparing Finn and showing restraint, she had projected vulnerability, a weakness she couldn't afford to reveal again so soon. Despite the complexities, Lexa had earnestly tried to bridge the gap between our people, with many of her closest allies showing a willingness to embrace this fragile alliance.