Part 2: Chapter 55

Islam admired her reflection in the rear-view mirror of her car, applying lip balm before grabbing her tote bag and stepping out. She was elegantly dressed in a luxurious black abaya and ivory khimer, exuding an Arabian charm. As she walked, a few ladies glanced back, captivated by her beauty, especially her stylish black wedges that added to her stature. She had a penchant for high-soled shoes.

"Salamualaikum," she greeted warmly as she entered the quaint fast-food joint owned by Madina, Mubarak's mother. The aroma of her delectable shawarma and sandwiches drew in customers from near and far, eager to savor her unique fillings. Her culinary skills made her establishment a sought-after dining spot in Kaduna.

"Wa alaikumusalam," Madina replied warmly, embracing Islam who she regards as Amaryar Usman. "You're the one visiting."

"Yes, Aunt. Your place is spectacular," she complimented.

"Thanks, Mubarak did the design for me. Have a seat. You're lucky today; I'm making bruschetta. It's a new recipe I found online, so you're going to have a nice breakfast," she said, skillfully preparing the toasted bread with coconut oil, banana, and coconut flakes before serving it.

"Hmm, yummy. I need a clue to this secret," she said, enjoying the flavorful dish.

"You already know," Madina replied, joining her and still wearing an apron as she crossed her legs.

"Aunt, I just wanted to ask you something," she began, feeling hesitant.

"Be my guest."

"Don't you think Mama is hiding something from us? Maybe she is..."

"No, she's fine; she's just stressed out," Madina interrupted. "I thought we're here to talk about you. My friend in Borno sells incense, and I ordered many for you. Borno's incense is different, and they smell nice."

"Thanks, Aunt. I love the smell of burnt sugar and strawberry."

"There are different flavors you'll like. A woman's secret to holding her family together is by keeping it clean and smelling nice," she said, rising to tidy the tables.

"I need you to taste more fillings and comment," said Madina.

"Your shawarma is the best, Aunt."

"I'm back," said the masculine voice as Islam turned around to see the young man in a graphic tee and skinny jeans holding his helmet.

"Sagir," she called out, and he responded with a smirk. "Longest time."

"Yeah, I'm now a good boy," he said, walking over to Madina. "I'm hungry," he whimpered, rubbing his tummy. She then filled the bread with grainy mustard, salami, and cucumber before passing it to him.

"I love deliveries," Islam remarked, sitting next to him. "What do you do to earn a living?"

“Why are you all asking me the same questions? I don't sell drugs if that's what you want to hear. I work hard to earn a living, and I have my brother beside me,” he replied, munching on the sweet bread.

"Firdausi traveled to Lagos today; she said there would be an IPO this Friday."

"Same with Mubarak," Madina added.

"He's working hard and is successful; he made Tijjani Interiors from scratch, and look at him. He just has daddy's blood in him," Sagir commented, clearly enjoying the delicious bruschetta.

"Yes, I agree," Islam confirmed, while Madina smiled, a satisfying smile on her face.

"I made kosai and kunu; I don't know if you'll want it," Madina mentioned.