"Never..."

For most of the car ride from the desert to New Orleans, Hope was asleep. They'd stop every so often and her family would encourage her to eat and drink something. They treated her as if she'd been neglected for months rather than days. Though she had to admit, it had felt much longer than it had been.

A month ago Hope would have complained and told them she was fine. To leave her alone. Now? She realized it was okay to accept help. Letting someone take care of you isn't a weakness, it's a gift.

Hope always had the power to take on what she wanted, the power to say, 'No, I can do this myself, but thank you.' She had always wanted to do things by herself, and prove herself as a person worthy of independence. But, now, after everything... Hope realized there was nothing to prove. She knew who she was and her capabilities. She also knew her weaknesses and where she fell short. Hope had a new power now - one she was happy to embrace. A power in which she could smile and say, 'Yes, I'd like your help, thank you.'

Hope didn't have to suffer alone to be strong.

The massive black SUV that Elijah rented from the airport fitted all of them snugly and soon they were pulling up to the compound. Much of the ride had been quiet and calm - likely to allow Hope the time she needed to rest.

Hope's heart surged with delight as the door slid open and she stepped out, grinning as the balmy air embraced her warmly. She took a deep breath and let the aroma of cajun cuisine envelop her senses. She'd forgotten the magical allure New Orleans had and the claim it already had on her soul.

It was evening and the street was still alive with people milling about. Hope's mouth watered at the thought of a beignet, but sudden sadness crept into her chest. Making her throat tight with emotion. She'd wanted to share her love of beignets with Dom...

Seeming to sense her sudden emotional change, Derek stepped in front of her and captured her eyes with his. They were soft and calm, bringing her thoughts back to the present.

"Hey..." he murmured, his thumb stroking her bottom lip. "You're home now. It's safe."

Hope nodded, but even his caress of words couldn't stop the tears from stinging her eyes. "I know. Just...thinking. About Dominik." She offered a sad smile.

Derek swallowed hard and nodded, pulling her into his arms. Resting his chin on top of her head. "You were under a lot of pressure. It's not your fault."

Deep down, past all of the guilt and pain, she knew that. She wouldn't have predicted the outcome of what happened, but it hurt nonetheless. While they drove home they all pieced together what had happened.

Benjamin had let the fighters go, as he had told her he did, but not all had left. Some stayed behind to help fight. Some vampires were killed by her own family, mistaken for enemies. Dom must have been watching Dorian hurting Hope and had come over to take him off her, that's why Dorian's assault had stopped so suddenly, but the quick decision Hope had made to take Dorian's blood hadn't been enough time for her to process who all was there at the moment. She attacked Dominik by mistake. He'd been too close and she'd been too hungry and frantic to notice the difference. Dorian had dragged her away only for Derek to arrive and take out Dorian's ear and eye to get Hope to safety. It had all been so hazy, even thinking about the vents had her brain a bit scrambled. Maybe she needed more sleep.

"We left him to the fire." She murmured. "He had kids he was trying to get back to and now..."

Derek nodded, his soft lips brushing her temples. "We'll look into it. So they can have some closure." His fingertips took her chin and lifted her head up just a little so he could gaze into her eyes again. She could stare all day, black lashes surrounding a lake of emerald. He continued, "Everything that happened. Absolutely none of it was your fault. You understand that?"

Hope nodded, squeezing his other hand. "I know." She just wished it hadn't happened.

"I'm proud of you." He smiled crookedly, tucking a couple of loose strands of hair behind her ear. "Come on. You need to eat something and get some more rest."

"I think we'll fly back to California." Hope laughed a little, she wouldn't be able to stand another moment jammed into a car. Especially not with Stiles who seemed to think guzzling Mountain Dew between gas station stops was a good idea.

Derek's gaze glanced over her shoulder and she knew without looking that he was looking at her dad.

"You'll be going back then?" Klaus' voice came.

Hope turned and watched him as he closed up the hatches of the vehicle. Biting her lip she nodded slowly. "I'm not leaving yet. We can talk about that later." She took Derek's hand and started toward the front doors, glancing over at him she asked, "Are you okay to stay for a couple of days?"

"Of course. We can take our time." He squeezed her hand in soft reassurance.

By the time night had fully fallen, Hope had scrubbed the hours of travel off and was sitting in the living room with a warm mug of tea. Hope had given and received so many hugs in the past twenty-four hours she felt nothing but warm and fuzzy feelings inside and out.

She leaned against Derek when everyone else made their way in and took an available spot. Whether on the couch or a place on the floor, everyone was together. Even Marcel and Davina had come over to greet her.

"So." Hayley started, smiling at Hope from her place on the floor next to the coffee table. "We've met Derek..."

Hope let out a laugh and put her fingers to her forehead. "Yeah, this wasn't exactly the way I'd planned for everyone to meet," she bit her lip and thought to herself, "I know it seems like we kind of rushed into things, but..."

"I understand," Hayley smiled softly and nodded, "I think we should first talk about the massive elephant in the room."

Hope's eyes met everyone else's and she had a feeling everyone was thinking about the same elephant. "I want to live in Beacon Hills."

"Hope-" her father began, but she held up a hand. Her eyes were tired, but patient.

"I know what you're going to say and I hear you, but the thing is there are always going to be Dorian's out there. I don't have to prove to you or anyone else what I'm capable of, because, at the end of the day, they're just words. Things happen, and people die. I can't prevent that, but I also can't force myself not to live life because of fear. This might sound morbid, but if I'm to die, I'd rather die taking some risks than live a stagnant life. I know you love me and I love you too," she looked up at Derek and pursed her lips, "But I also love Derek..." the warmth she saw in his eyes from those words made her own stomach flutter. She looked back at her family.

Klaus swallowed hard, she watched as he seemed to try and find the right words. "I just wanted to say...that I...understand." The room was so quiet a pin-drop could have been heard. "I know that keeping you here just so I know you'd be safe every minute of the day isn't a life you deserve...all I ask is..." He cleared his throat, brows furrowed and she wondered if he'd have preferred to have this conversation without so many eyes. "Don't shut us out."

Don't shut me out. That was what Hope really heard, but she knew her father wouldn't say that, not with so many people present.

Hope smiled and shook her head. "Never."