13- Truce Cake

"What do you want?" Carter answers the phone

"Do you ever answer the phone happily?" I ask putting my phone on speaker then setting it on the counter.

"I do, just not with you." He retorts.

"I feel special." My voice void of enthusiasm.

"You should. If I ever answer your call keenly you should fear the world is ending." He advises making me roll my eyes.

"Keenly? Who says that? What does keenly even mean?" I scoff, rummaging through my cabinets.

I already took a shower today after I got off of work and I had sweet tooth so I making a cake.

"It's a synonym for enthusiastic or eager." He explains, "It's a word people with higher intelligence use."

I pause my movements looking at the phone as if he could see me, "Then why are you using it?" I ask.

The silence I was given tells me I was getting on his nerves and there was a high chance he was glaring at the phone right now, ultimately bringing a smirk to my face.

"Because I am an intelligent person, Ivy." He grits through his teeth, and I have to stop myself from chuckling.

"But you said people of higher intelligence not just intelligent." I use his own words against him as I grab bowls and utensils.

He sighs aggravated, "You're getting on my nerves." He states.

"I know."

"Why are you still on my phone?" He asked, annoyance clear as day.

"Same reason why you haven't ended the call." I said typing my hair up into a bun to keep it out of my face when I hear a short beep from my phone.

I glance at the screen to see that the man really hung up the phone.

I sigh calling him back.

"What?" He answers the phone, again, and I knew I had gotten use to the rudeness a while back and I didn't take any offense to it.

If he genuinely didn't want to talk to me he wouldn't have answered the phone, for the second time.

"I was joking, Carver. I didn't think you'd actually hang up." I said leaning forward on the counter.

"I know, but how was I suppose to end the annoying noise coming through my phone."

A grin appeared on my face as I glance towards the phone, "Your phone must be broken because I know you don't mean my voice."

I received a chuckle from the other line, "Hold on the noise is back." He says and a silence passes between us before he speaks again, "Never mind it's gone."

"Maybe you shoul—"

He interrupts me, "Wait it's back."

I huff, "Carver—"