I'll Drive You Home at the End of the Night

Sk8 the Infinity - Kojiro Nanjo (Joe), Kaoru Sakurayashiki (Cherry Blossom) & Miya Chinen

Two different fixations in two weeks, how fun

-

Having to parent three fatherless teenagers was never on Joe's bucket list.

But he would gladly do his part if it meant they would stay out of trouble. Though Kaoru, whom he had a love-hate relationship with, often made that job harder.

"Didn't know Italian restaurants housed children." Kaoru said as he sauntered in, sitting in his usual chair.

The pink haired skateboarder was talking about Miya, who was napping in a chair at the back of the restaurant as Joe was cleaning up. His hood was over his face, his skateboard and a small backpack at his feet.

Joe rolled his eyes with a sigh, having heard the same response every night Miya was over. "Look, his parents are out of town, and it's the off season. He just needs a place to stay for the weekend."

"He even got the table you only reserve for critics because of it's incredible view from the counter." Kaoru teased with a smirk.

Joe threw his lightly used cleaning rag at him. "Oh shut up."

"I know you, Kojiro." Kaoru replied, throwing back the rag.

Joe grabbed a new cloth and wiped down glasses from the dinner rush. "Not everyone has good parents, Kaoru. If these kids need someone to look out for them, someone to be a parent, I'll be there."

"I know. You're doing good."

"Glad you approve." Joe said sarcastically, turning away from Kaoru to put away the glasses.

"I mean it. I'm not mocking you, if that's what you think."

"Someone has to do it, no?"

"And it's good that you are. You know what it's like growing up without good influences."

Joe slipped on his jacket with a sigh. "You and me both. I've got to close up."

"You wouldn't mind making me a little something before you do, would you?"

Joe pointed his keys at Kaoru. "No way. I'm not dealing with a drunk you and a sleep-deprived Miya tonight."

"Does he not get enough sleep? Kids need at least eight-"

"I know that." Joe interrupted. "But between achieving high grades, practicing for the next skateboarding competition and managing a social life, do you really think he's got much spare time?"

"When you put it that way, probably not."

"My point exactly." Joe crouched in front of Miya, gently tapping his shoulder to wake him. "Heya, bud. We've got to get out of here, but you're free to come stay at my place for the night. Your choice."

"I'll go to yours." Miya said sleepily, reaching for his bag and skateboard.

"I'll take your stuff to the car." Joe said as he shouldered Miya's small backpack.

"Do I have to sleep on your couch?" Miya asked as he stood with a yawn.

Joe smiled and ruffled his hair. "Don't worry kiddo, I've got a nice guest bedroom where you can stay."