Chapter 6 - The Hungry, Hungry Ant

The five sat around a pond of water, the sun beaming down on them. Amy and Nancy were cleaning themselves by cupping some water in their hands.

Amy groaned, "Mud is still mud, no matter how small you are." She said with a disgusted expression.

"I can't believe some stores actually charge for this stuff."

Russ looked up from his spot, him and Nancy making eye contact. "That was really great. What you did for Nick." Nancy said to him.

"Yeah, it was." Amy agreed.

"What about you, Nancy? He saved you too." Nick said.

"Yeah, I know Nick." The two teenagers looked at each other.

"Where'd you learn artificial respiration?" Nick asked Russ, holding his flannel shirt.

He looked up at him, grinning, "French class, kid."

"Oh." Nick said, nodding. But he had a confused look on his face.

Russ looked back to Nancy who was smiling at him teasing Nick.

"French class.." Nick thought to himself. He still had no idea what he meant.

Russ filled his hands with water and began washing his face. Amy looked up past him and saw Ron sitting on the rock quietly, he looked back.

Amy stood up, walking to him. "How about a truce, okay?"

He thought for a minute, unsure, before answering, "Okay."

He stuck his hand out and Amy grabbed it, her hand full of mud.

She hummed happily, smirking as she flicked remaining mud on him.

She walked away as Ron looked at his hand, then looking at her with a disgusted face.

"I think this is the flagstone in the middle of our yard." Amy said, walking back to the others.

Nancy and Russ stood up, "You mean we're halfway there?"

"Yeah, I think so."

"Let's go!" The group began to walk again, Nick putting on his flannel shirt, a still unusual look on his face.

He stopped for a second, still thinking, "French class."

He began catching up to the others.
•~•~•~•~•

"I'd die for a strawberry sundae.." Amy said.

The group only just became aware that they hadn't eaten in a while.

"With chocolate sprinkles.. and a banana split." She continued.

"I could eat a corn dog the size of a truck." Ron said.

"Ron, if you had a corn dog, it would be the size of a truck." Russ told him.

Amy stopped in her tracks, Nancy stopping beside her to see what it was.

"I've died and gone to heaven." She said as the rest of them stopped around her.

"It's as big as a house!" Nick said, popping his head over the taller teens.

"I saw it first, it's mine!" Ron nearly lunged at it.

The rest of them ran to it. A giant oatmeal cream pie cookie.

"I got dibs on the cream filling!" Ron continued as they got closer.

"Nick, it's one of your cookies!" Amy said happily as they all climbed onto it and began digging in.

"Their never gonna believe this at school." Ron said, his mouth full of cookie.

"Yeah, I could just see the note to the teacher." Nick explained, also talking with a full mouth, " 'dear Miss Mason, Nicky's not absent, he's pinned to this note.' "