Chapter 9 - Growing Up

The five were in the attic, and being kept on a spoon as the Szalinski's and the Thompson's tried to figure this whole thing out.

"It obviously worked on the kids. I just don't get it." Wayne thought aloud.

"Well you better get it, Szalinski." Mr. Thompson said.

"Russ, you're not helping." His wife, Mae, informed him.

"So, I'm not helping."

"Russell, you got to understand."

Diane grabbed the magnifying glass and took a look at the kids.

"Baseball!" Nick yelled.

"Nick's trying to say something." She said, the other adults looking over.

"I- I can't make it out!" She said as Wayne came over, "Let me see."

He took the magnifying glass from her hands and looked himself.

"The baseball, Dad!" Nick yelled again, the others grouping around him.

"What're you saying, Nick?"

Ron backed up, then continuing to pretend-throw a baseball, and Nick pretended to catch it.

"Swinging?" Mr. Szalinski said.

"Sounds like—" Mae started.

"It's semaphore, Mae." Her husband said.

"Wait! Uh- uh.. flapping!" She guessed again.

Russ then started to pretend swinging a bat.

"Pitching. Uh, Throwing?" Wayne guessed.

"You're out, you're out!" Amy and Nancy yelled to them.

"Baseball!" Russell sr. shouted out.

"Yes! The baseball!" They yelled, standing up.

"Baseball?" Wayne said, standing up and going back to the machine.

"Good, honey!" Mae said to her husband.

Mr. Szalinski grabbed the baseball, looking over, "Holy smokes. It's the laser!" He said.

"I get it, the ball came through the window.. and activated the machine, and it got in the path of a laser! Why didn't I think of this before!" He said happily.

"I could take a wild guess." Russell muttered, Mae hushing him.

"It's creating too much heat, that's why everything was blowing up!" He connected the dots.

"Thanks, Nick." He said close up to the spoon.

"Alright, Nicky!" The group shook him on the shoulder.

"Diane, you take the spoon, I'll get the machine-" Wayne said before Russell stopped him.

"Hold it, Szalinski, This gizmo's been blowing up fruit, and you're not trying it on my kids until you try it on something living!" He said, Quark running down the stairs in a hurry.

"You know something," Wayne started, "Maybe I should do it on myself. I'll show you how to work the machine, it's not that hard." He continued as all of them started taking at once.

"No, No!" Russell stopped them.

"Do it on me." He said, pushing through the group.

"Are you sure honey?" Mae asked as he passed her his hat.

Russell and Ron moved closer to see if this was really happening. They both wore shocked faces.

Mae picked up the empty pack of cigarettes laying in the bottom of his hat with a knowing smile.

🎉 You've finished reading ᴇᴠᴇʀʏ ʙʀᴇᴀᴛʜ ʏᴏᴜ ᴛᴀᴋᴇ, 𝘓𝘪𝘵𝘵𝘭𝘦 𝘙𝘶𝘴𝘴 𝘛𝘩𝘰𝘮𝘱𝘴𝘰𝘯 🎉