19

Over the weekend the school called home. Connie answered, finally being home from work that day to actually receive calls. Her husband wasn't home though, so that was probably what saved a fight from breaking out. She was informed about the fight and that her son could've been a part of it. Toby had left his bag laying on the pavement where the fight broke out. It was ripped off of his back and thrown down anyways, so it was no surprise he just left it.
Both siblings were talked to by their mom, noticing how bruised both of their fists were. At that point she realized what had to be done. She saw how bad the bullying was getting, her kid was coming home everyday all beat up or missing some of his belongings. Though this was only one call she answered, she could only imagine what the others were about. Toby knew though.
Vandalism, skipping class, fights, lots of fights, having a lighter in class, not obeying teachers, ect.

"You're not going back." Connie spoke, having her sons' hands in hers, tightly squeezing. He couldn't tell if she was mad or sad.

"B-but what about my GED?" Toby asked, not necessarily wanting to be taken out of school, that was his only reason to leave the house, the only thing he did, ever.
"I mean s-sure they're mean but i-"

Connie grabbed her son's face. "Look at you! You can't keep putting up with this, these kids are ruthless! That school can burn in hell!"

Toby was flinching to her shouts.
"Mom…but, what will dad think.." Toby stammered out.
"I don't care what he thinks, he's leaving soon anyways." tears formed in Connie's eyes, her gaze dropping to the floor.
"Mom?..Are you okay?"

Just then Toby noticed a bruise on her forehead when her bangs fell to the side. It looked recent.
Toby fell silent, looking towards Lyra who also had nothing to say. There wasn't a word to describe how angry Toby felt at that moment.

"Look…He doesn't have to know, I mean, he's never sober enough to realize you leave the house everyday to go to school…surely he won't notice." The woman squeezed out through a cracky, breaking voice.
Toby didn't want to see her cry.

"yes, ma'am.."

And like that Toby was pulled out of school completely at the mere age of sixteen. They did offer homeschooling but it was never actually brought up again after that.

It was going pretty smoothly, until one horrid hour came amongst Toby.
He was doing the dishes, being extra careful not to accidentally drop or throw a glass dish, like he has in the past.

He could feel a lingering presence behind him, his dad. He was home.
"Aren't you supposed to be at school?" the voice rang out. Toby could smell the alcohol from 8 feet away.

"I uh-" Toby's shoulders dropped. He really didn't think either of his parents were home. His mom was at work, and Lyra was probably still asleep. Toby was actually kind of frightened.

"don't lie to me, boy. I just want to know."

The man's voice almost sounded like it wasn't even real.
Toby shook his head, keeping his gaze away.

Suddenly he felt a hand on his shoulder, a force tugging him to turn around. It was pretty aggressive.
"Look at me when I speak to you."

Toby visibly scrunched his nose to the stench of the man in front of him. His hands still gripped the counter that he was standing against now. His father is just inches from him now.
What was he gonna say? Would the man know if he was lying?