Three

Another mission got Kanae excited. A devilman appeared in the East Nerima Ward, so she, Aki, and Denji were sent to kill it. Aki had to hold Kanae back before she could run inside the household and kill the devilman herself.

"What is a devilman?" Denji wondered.

"It's a devil that's taken over a human's corpse," Kanae answered.

Aki sighed in annoyance. "How do you not know this?" he asked.

Denji shrugged his shoulders before holding up his axe. "Never been to any kind of school."

"Me either!" Kanae exclaimed happily. "Aki's been homeschooling me." She gasped in excitement. "We can be homeschool buddies. Aki's been teaching me how to read, write, boring math. He really is the best teacher!"

Aki rubbed the back of his neck in embarrassment, flabbergasted by her compliment, as he tried to hide the blush that came across his cheeks.

"Nah, I'll be fine," Denji denied the offer, not really interested in the devil hunter teaching him...well, anything.

The trio entered the household.

"So, would I be considered as a devilman?" Denji asked.

"No," Aki said. "The shape of the devilman's head is its characteristic."

"Huh?"

Kanae chuckled and said, "It's best if we just show you." Aki went toward the front door and kicked it wide open. "Hot."

Aki sighed as he motioned Denji and Kanae to go first. Denji went inside and Kanae was about to follow how Aki grabbed her wrist before she could go any further.

"Would you stop being so nice to him?" he asked. "He's probably gonna get the wrong idea about you?"

Kanae tilted her head to the side. "Wrong idea? I'm just being nice to our roommate." Aki scoffed as he looked away from her. Kanae soon realized what was going on and a smirk slowly grew. "Aw, don't tell me you're jealous?"

Aki's eyes widened before they snapped at the fiend before him as if she said the most ridiculous thing in the world. "I'm not jealous of that slob."

Kanae found it adorable whenever Aki lied. She gave him a closed eye smile as she brought her hand up and began rubbing the top of his head while making sure she doesn't ruin his topknot. "Chill out, I'm just messing with you. You know you're my favorite roommate." Her eyes opened and the smile never left her face. "In fact, you're my favorite person. And I'm not just saying that because of our agreement."

"Is it because I remind you of him?" Aki asked. He saw how Kanae's smile faltered for a second, regret soon came to him. Mentally scolding himself for even asking such a question.

"A little."

"Do you still miss him?"

"What do you think?" Kanae's hand slowly dropped down to her side. She tried not to remember her friend, Inari, or else she would cry. So, she plastered a fake smile while pointing a finger near her heart. "It's ok because he'll always be with me."

She turned around and skipped inside the room. Denji was looking at the fiend, who was eating a chicken's carcass. Her eyes brightened as she looked at Aki. "Can I kill this one, Aki?" she asked.

"No," he declined as he walked in. He motioned to Denji. "Because he is. Turn into a devil and show me what you can do. That'll help me determine how useful you are."

"Don't look," the devil spoke in front of them. He dropped the chicken before standing up. "I'll poke your eyes out before I kill you. Damn devil hunters to hell and back."