Four

A/N: Warning fondling later in this chapter.

Kanae was humming a happy tune as Aki gave her a piggyback ride to meet up with Himeno and the other devil hunters.

"Gonna meet up with my favorite female because she is my best friend," Kanae sang as she waved her finger to the beat. "Today is the best because I saw Master."

Aki sighed in annoyance. "I wish you stop calling him that," he muttered.

Kanae chuckled. "I have to. It's what he and me agree on." The devil shook her head as she caught on to her mistake. "It's what he and I agree on when we first met."

"Your grammar's improving."

"Because I got the best teacher." Kanae placed her chin on his shoulder, held him a bit tighter, and smiled. "I know it's not a contract but I'm happy I struck a deal with you." She rubbed her cheek against his, not noticing the small blush that crept on his face. "Besides, you're more comfy than anyone else. You smell better, too."

Aki smiled. He adjusted his grip on Kanae and continued walking. It wasn't awkward or uncomfortable. Kanae continued to hum whatever song she made up. It was like that for a few minutes before she spoke again.

"I like Denji," she admitted.

Aki scoffed. "You like that brat?"

"Not like that. He might be immature at times, but he's real."

"What do you mean by that?"

"Like, I can feel everyone's desires. Revenge? Solitude? Lust? Money? It's the most common thing people want. But Denji's desires have got to be the most realistic. He wasn't raised like you and me in a home. So wanting actual food, a nice bed, hell, even groping someone...it might seem weird or selfish to other people. I think it's just him wanting to experience life the way he couldn't. You can call me stupid all you want but, he's my friend and I'm going to help him in any way I can."

Aki nodded, deep in thought. "You're right. You are stupid."

Kanae gawked. "You're so mean!"

He gave her a look. "I can put you down if you like."

The girl tightened her hold on him. "Wait, no, I take it back! You're not mean!"

》》》》

It wasn't long before the duo met up with Himeno at the abandoned house the Bat Devil was spotted in. Kanae's eyes grew wide in delight as she jumped off Aki and ran to hug Himeno.

"Himeno!" she greeted as her arms and legs were around the woman. Kanae squeezed their cheeks together. "I'm so happy you're here."

"Ah, aren't you just adorable," Himeno said as she rubbed the top of Kanae's head. "I brought you something."

Kanae gasped as she jumped off. "Oooh, what is it? Is it another candy?" Himeno pulled out a bag of sweets she promised to give the girl once they see each other again, knowing how much she loves her sweets. "You're the best!"

"I know. I saw it at the market and knew I had to get it for you."

Kanae gave a closed eye smile as Himeno rubbed the back of her ears.

"You know she's not an actual dog," Aki deadpanned. He walked over and grabbed the bag.

Kanae pouted. "Aw, no fair! I want some!"

"Not until we finish the job. I don't need you bouncing around the walls because you had too many sweets."

Himeno tilted her head to the side and gave a teasing smirk. "That's not the only thing you want her bouncing on."