Chapter 23 Gabriel

I wasn't super thrilled about the idea of Harlow leaving the packgrounds, but I felt better about it knowing that all the girls, including Beta Callie, Waylon, and a team of guards would be accompanying her. I had to admit, I was impressed that Harlow agreed to all the company and that even Ric conceded to allowing her to go. This was sort of like a test, I guess, for all of us.

Ric and I agreed on five guards who would go with her. They were five of our most elite warriors and they were proud to be assigned to guard their Luna. It was lunchtime and we were all settled in the dining room waiting for Griff and Harlow to come back from whatever they were doing. I was just about to mindlink him when the sweet scent of my mate filled the room and I knew she was close.

Harlow was actually smiling as she walked into the room with Griffin's arm casually draped around her waist. I looked at Ric in surprise but he was too focused on Harlow to notice. Griff pulled out a chair for Harlow and helped her into it.

"And how are you today, precious?" Ric was the first to greet her, picking up her hand and kissing it gently. She blushed and smiled at him,

"I'm okay." She said quietly.

"Are you hungry?" I asked and her head snapped in my direction.

I noticed how her expression changed slightly when she looked at me and that's when I knew how desperately I needed to have that one-on-one time with my mate. I wanted the connection that Griff and Ric seemed to have already formed with her and I wanted it badly. She bit her bottom lip and nodded, her blonde hair swinging in front of her face.

"Yes." She said, stubbornly tucking the hair behind her ears.

I grabbed her plate and stood up, scooping some of the spaghetti onto it.

"Cheese?" I asked, motioning towards the bowl of fresh mozzarella. She nodded and I sprinkled a hearty amount on her pasta. I sat the bowl in front of her and her eyes sparkled.

"Pasta is my favorite." She said, offering me a small smile. I returned it and grabbed a piece of garlic bread for her, but she quickly shook her head, "I'm allergic to garlic."

"What is that vile herb doing on our table!" Lewy snarled in my head and I had to agree.

I stood up abruptly, grabbing the entire plate of garlic bread and walking around the table to collect all the bread from everyone else's plates. Annie had a piece in her mouth that I snatched away and she yelled at me,

"Hey!" She cried out.

"Amanda!" I hollered and she came running.

"Gabe?" She looked startled as I shoved the plate full of bread against her chest.

"Garlic is banned from this house. The Luna is allergic." I ordered and her eyes went wide.

"Oh my Goddess! I'm so sorry Luna, I'll have it taken care of right away." She said, glancing towards Harlow before hurrying back to the kitchen.

I walked back to my seat to see both Griff and Ric looking at me with amused expressions. Harlow's eyes were wide and her face was pale, a fork full of pasta hovering between the plate and her face like she was in mid-bite.

"That was completely unnecessary." Harlow said when I sat back down.

"Nonsense. It threatened your safety." I replied matter-of-factly.

"I just get a rash." She mumbled and I shrugged,

"Better not to risk it."

Griff and Ric were trying very hard not to laugh at me, but they lost the fight and doubled over in a fit.