Chapter 19

"Daisy?" Elijah says picking up.

"Hey. I just wanted to ask where you are. You weren't replying to my messages or anything so I just tried to call you.,, My voice is shaky because I'm nervous.

"Wait let me check your texts." I hear him taping on his phone and then he's silent.

He saw the text. Isn't he happy I remembered? "Elijah? Are you mad?"

He sighs in relief, "Mad? Shit, are you kidding? No I'm not. I'm so glad you remembered my apology. But I would've apologized again anyways. Look, I'm sorry for saying shit that I obviously would never mean. Just to calm you down, I layed you in my bed and I slept on the couch, by the way. No need to freak out. This morning I heard you make strange noises. I went in the room to check and I found you screaming while you were asleep. That's why I got on the bed and woke you up- What did you dream about, anyway?" He finally stops talking.

I try to take it all in what he just said, "Oh my dream.." Now I remember it again. But I can't tell Elijah about any of that. "Yeah it was creepy, indeed. Nothing to worry about though. I am sorry for being a drunk mess yesterday, I normally don't drink and I'm sorry if I said anything strange yesterday. I can't remember shit except.. you know."

"Yeah you're good. I already know how drunk people behave, sweety."

"Where are you right now? Didn't see you at the cafe" I ask.

He groans. "Yeah I'm at my p- mom's house right now. Visiting her until Saturday." Something about his tone is off. And why only his mom? Isn't his dad, Jimmy's brother with him?

"Well I'm sorry if I interrupted anything." I quickly add.

"You didn't, don't worry, my Flower.,,

Again. He said it again. "You're really comfortable with calling me nicknames, huh?" I smile, but he -of course- doesn't see it.

He scoffs shortly, "Yeah what can I say. I like doing it. Thought it fit you. Want me to stop?"

Is he kidding? I love how it makes me feel. "No! I.. sort of got used to it now."

"Then I won't. Just one question. Do you still like me, Daisy?"

My smile fades. Elijah, you ruined the moment. "I mean.. yeah I am starting to like you. As a good friend, Elijah."

I hear him sigh on the other end, "Yeah. Friends. That's cool."

"See you, Elijah"

"K. You too. Take care, Flower."

I hang up and realise that I friend-zoned him. I friend-zoned the man that I let go down on me. But I swear it's for the best. I don't want him to think that we are something because we are nothing. We're just friends. Neighbours. People who sometimes hate and like each other. 

People who make each other feel.. something they never felt before.

***

I'm putting on mascara as I am putting stuff in a basket, because me and Jimmy are going picnicking. I am not long away from being finished with everything, but Jim wanted to come up anyway. So everything I still have to do is to wait for him.

My doorbell rings and I take the door. "Jim!" I hug him tightly as I notice the flower bouquet in his hand. "They are so pretty. You know you didn't have to-"

He ruffles my hair, "Oh stop it. I have no one to spend my money on, except you and Elijah and myself. Since Elijah won't except anything I give him, because he's stubborn like his dad, I will spend it on you." He smiles at me.