20 | Hopefully I learn from this

MARY'S REALLY PISSED at me. She keeps ignoring me and stops answering my questions, which I stopped asking after I realized what's happening. I think―well, I know―it's because of Charlie and how his mom and her are close or something.

I mean, I get it. But I also don't get it.

Because a person who's close to you for a very long time can also abruptly just not be there. I doubt Mary's there yet. The only person who's talking to me is Caro and that's because Mary's pissed at her too. Little miss perfect here didn't pass on to her next class, which means she has to retake it next semester, which also means more money from Mary's pocket.

I know this. Which is why I don't understand why I'm engaging in her conversation. "What'd he say exactly?" Caro asks from the sink. I pretend my mouth is too full from the pretzels, but Caro sees right through me. She waits patiently for me to finish eating and when I am, she asks again.

I groan. "You don't need to know everything."

"It's just conversation, Mason. Geez. What's up with you?"

I roll my eyes. "Wouldn't you like to know."

"I would actually."

"I'm not gonna actually tell you. It's my business."

"Well, I'm your sister."

"So?"

"So?" she chuckles. "Well, I mean, I'm your family―"

"Save that BS for someone else."

Her eyebrows wrinkle. "Wh-what the hell, Mason?" My eyes widen. "You think you're the only person who has bad days? I literally fucking cried myself to sleep last night, but no one knows that because I don't go around telling people that. Maybe I would tell my family, but looks like they don't give a fuck either!"

She locks herself in the bathroom and I find myself being ashamed. I guess I've never been this moody to anyone before. I'm not even sure why I am. This isn't my first rodeo.

Mary comes down, confused as hell, and as soon as she sees me, her eyebrows scrunch. "What happened?"

"I don't know. She just ran to the bathroom." I hesitate to open my mouth. "Look, mo―Mary, whatever, I don't know what you have against me calling out someone for calling a girl a bitch. But if you're going to justify it because―"

"Charlie called a girl a bitch?"

"Yeah," I point out as if it wasn't already obvious.

"Wha―who?"

I wrinkle my eyebrows. "Does it matter?"

"Well, I just want to know who."

"It really doesn't matter. What matters is who you want to be friends with."

Mary chuckles. "What? You're saying that Diane is a bad friend?"

"Oh my god." And when she doesn't get it, "yeah."

"Mason―"

"I'm serious. If she's raising that kind of son then you shouldn't be around her otherwise you might."

"You're one to talk." Caro surprises me and I admit she is right. I mean, what the fuck have I been doing, right?