Prologue

Fearless considered herself to be a strong leader.

     She held up these tunnels talon in talon with her dragons, each and everyone doing their part.

     Unlike herself, these tunnels would hold strong for centuries, harboring whatever lived in this home in the future.

      So why were they splintering apart? Why were they gradually turning into something so unnatural?

     Glass.

     At first, the walls felt weirdly smooth and a little translucent. Now, only a few days later, some walls were completely clear and glossy.

     Fearless tried not to think about it. Questions were on the rise, even a few riots. The village wanted answers; Fearless didn't have them.

     The glass walls weren't the only thing dragons were asking about. The young dragons had left a few weeks ago, off to kill or capture the murderer of her best dragon, Stratus. She still dearly missed Jackpine and often visited his grave, as many did, but the feelings would never truly subside.

     The village wanted to know what had happened to their children. Where had they gone? When were they coming home? Did they succeed?

    Did they die?

    Fearless curled her tail around her chair. One bonus of clear walls was that she didn't need a verbal warning of incoming dragons, because she could see them bounding down the half from a good distance away.

     "Fearless!" A RainWing panted, flinging the door open. A SandWing behind her, Dust, was panting trying to catch up. He shoved her to the ground as Fearless got up from her chair to stand in front of her desk.

     "I'm sorry ma'am," Dust said, avoiding the RainWing's snapping jaws. "I tried to stop-"

     "Let her up," Fearless demanded. Dust hesitated, and then let the RainWing go. She popped up, in a defensive position. 

     "Fearless," she repeated.

     "The's me. You're familiar. what's your name again?" Fearless asked.

      "It's Rosetta, ma'am," she said with a quick bow, and then straightened back up.

      "Have you found them?" Fearless asked.

      "Yes," Rosetta said. "They can't come back home, though."

      "And why is that?" Dust said next to her. Fearless rolled her eyes. She was supposed to be asking the questions, not him.

      Rosetta must've thought this too, but she hesitated a moment before answering. "They're chasing the murderer."

     "They still haven't caught Stratus?" Fearless asked. "That dragon needs to be caught and needs to be killed. You are dismissed!"

      "No! Fearless, ma'am, please. There is danger coming." Rosetta begged. The usually hostile and snappy RainWing was uncharacteristically worried and jumpy, from what Fearless could remember of her.

      "What happened, Rosetta?" Fearless said in a low voice. She looked up at Dust. "Leave and close the door behind you. I don't want rumors being spread until I make an announcement."

     Sulking, Dust left. He peered inside through the glass wall, and Fearless watched his blobby shape slink away.

     "Before I say anything I will admit I was not loyal to you before, I was loyal to my daughter and that explains why I didn't speak sooner." Rosetta said.