52. Disruption

🎆

"Halston, we can't change what happened with Tan"

Enya feels like maybe for the first time, she is actually thinking clearly about all of this.

She still remembers, quite vividly, the day Tan died. The blood on her clothes, from running up to the scene, taking down those who had killed Tan and trying to save him. The shock that she felt, sitting in the car on the way back, thinking about how the world stopped, just for a minute, and turned around in the wrong direction. This normality that she had gotten used to for the past five years, seeing the same people, doing the same things, having the same arguments- and suddenly one vital character is gone.

It was too much of a shock for all of them, to the point where they just couldn't think clearly and see what was in front of them. Halston, laying there shocked in front of Tan's body, completely broken in two. And they can't change what happened to Tan. They couldn't have done anything to help Halston, because that boy was hanging onto Tan with his life and there was nothing any of them could do about it. But what they could have done is see. They could've seen Halston's broken mind in that moment and realized the true dangers of it, right then and there.

"We can't change the fact that he died, nor can we change your mind when it's made up"

Enya takes a step closer to the earth powered. Everything else is silent around them.

When Dahlia arrived everything cleared up. She was a fresh new dilemma in a situation that felt so sensitive and overplayed. But while she was someone who helped the rest of them rise up from their shock and sorrow, she was also the launching point for that danger within Halston's mind. Tan died, and Halston, who relied on him in every way possible, was now like a gun that might go off at any minute. Easy to manipulate, easy to bend, easy to fool. He still is, and probably will forever be, when it comes to Tan and his death. The company saw that and took their chance.

"You believe that Dahlia is the Power Wraith, you believe that she killed Tan. The rest of us know that the company did all of it. It's not hard to figure out"

They told Halston that Dahlia was a part of all of this. That she was the one who indirectly, through her own orders, killed Tan. Because of jealousy, but also because she was simply and crazily, purely evil. And Halston, that dumb fool who relied on Tan to make all of his emotional and practical decisions for him, was blind-sighted by his own sorrow and narrow view and he believed it. Even if everyone else would've just laughed at the accusation made towards the clearly innocent Dahlia, Halston believed it without a second thought. Enya could be mad at him for it but she isn't. Halston can't help that he's this way. The company has molded him into the perfect naive fool, or perhaps one should say, tool. And they have done it well.

They made Dahlia out to be the Power Wraith to the other Powered, after months of convincing Halston that she was the one behind Tan's murder. They told Halston not to tell any of them, because they wouldn't believe him. One by one the confused Powered fell for the lies of the company, after a few cleverly made steps. The most crucial move was to make sure the Powered figured it out themselves, after the facility had planted fake clues all over. The Powered wouldn't believe the company, but they would believe the fake evidence, and they would believe themselves. Because just like Halston, they were also perfectly made fools for the use of the facility, years and years of hidden propaganda fed into their brains.

"I'm sorry that you feel like Tan took your life with him, when he died. We all miss him but I know, I know you miss him more. But this ends now"

What they didn't expect was for Irie to not believe them, not even after months of them planting evidence and trying to manipulate her into believing it. It seems almost like the more they did, the less she believed. They had put her through months of solitary therapy to make her more mendable, but even then she wouldn't believe that Dahlia was the Power Wraith, which she wasn't. As a last resort they pulled her aside on a solo mission, and used Power Wraith weapons on her.