Journey to the North

Cold. Wind. The crunch of snow underfoot.

Elia stood in the middle of a barren whiteland as the wind whipped around her night dress. She frantically looked around, searching for anything that would make clear why she was seeing this place. She knew from the latest letters that Arthur had set out to Ismere to rescue his knights, but she was not sure if they had made it yet, nor how the journey was faring.

"What is it you wish me to see!" she shouted into the air.

Suddenly, she was standing in a cave, seeing many enslaved men digging. She walked up to the two closest to her, her eyes widening as she saw Percival and Gwaine. The normally jolly knights were frowning as they toiled. Elia reached out, hoping to touch them, but just as suddenly, she was whisked away in a black fog.

She watched a caravan head across the snow, men being dragged behind a wagon, their hands tied. Elia gathered up her skirt and began to run as she saw the familiar figures.

"No! MERLIN!"

Shooting up in her bed, Elia gasped. It was still night and one look out of her balcony told her that dawn was still a few hours away. She threw off her covers and reached for a robe.

After yanking it on, she yanked at the cord next to her bed, summoning Fianna from her room just down the hall. She had only just begun to pace when her lady's maid rushed in.

"What is it, my queen?" she asked breathlessly.

"Gather Elidren, Trevor, Cameron, and Rhys immediately. There is much to be done," Elia said.

"Yes, my lady," Fianna said, turning and running out of the room as Elia turned towards her closet.

When Fianna returned, the four groggy men following her, Elia was already dressed in warm breeches and other thick clothing, pulling on a pair of thick boots. Other items were laid out on her bed to be put into her saddlebags and a pack.

"What are you doing, Lia?" Elidren asked, crossing his arms as his mouth settled into a frown.

"I've seen them... they are going to be captured by Saxons. We must run to their aid," she said, jumping up and putting things into her pack quickly. It was mostly spare woolen socks and undergarments.

"Who, my queen?" Cameron asked, rubbing his eyes.

Elia stopped, scowling at them.

"King Arthur. He has set out for Ismere to rescue his knights and we must help," she said.

"Did the King ask for help?" Elidren asked.

"No, they will not have time, but it matters not. They are in danger!" Elia shouted, starting at her work again.

"This is ridiculous, Elia! You cannot set out on a quest every single, damn time King Arthur gets into trouble! He can take care of himself! He's been taking care of himself long before they stumbled across your patrol in the woods!" Elidren shouted at her. "You have your own country that needs you!"

"It is not ridiculous," Elia shouted back, stepping up to him. "You know just as much as I do how intricate our fate is tied to King Arthur. He MUST bring magic back or we fade. If he dies, then there is no hope for us all!"

The room was silent as the group watched the two cousins staring each other down, waiting to see who would back down first.

"I will take a small company - just myself, Trevor, Fianna, Baela, Rhys, and Cameron, if that makes you happy. We leave as we're all ready," she said, turning back to her work.

Elidren sighed and shook his head.

"And what should I tell the council and elders?" he asked dryly, rubbing his forehead.