Chapter 17: Best Years of My Life

2 years later

"Belle! We're going to be late, baby, we've got to go." 

"I know, I know, I'm coming. You know it's okay for us to be late Bobby. It's what we're known for."

"No, it's what you're known for. I just married into it." 

"For better or worse, remember baby?" 

"Yeah, I remember." Bob pulled Annie in close by her waist as she finished putting on her earrings and pressed a chaste kiss to her lips. Belle smiled up at her husband as he pulled away which he returned for only half a second before gathering their things and heading out the door. 

After the special detachment, Bob, Belle, and Nat all returned to Lemoore Naval Base where they had been ever since. Belle absolutely loved it in Lemoore. She was only a few hours away from her mother, she was able to spend as much free time as she wanted at the beach, and it was always a weeklong party when Rooster made his trip through town for his training regimens. About ten months after starting their station in Lemoore, Bob had popped the question and asked Annabelle to marry him. Six months later, they were married. Maverick had officiated the ceremony in Sarah's backyard where the ceremony was relegated to immediate family only, and all of the crew from the special detachment a year and a half earlier. It had been difficult deciding who would walk Belle down the aisle; it only made sense for Maverick to officiate, and Rooster and Bob had become like brothers, so it only made sense for Rooster to be Bob's best man. In the end, Annabelle had asked Hangman to do it, and though he'd never admit it, he had shed a tear or two at the request. Now, just six months later, they were all reuniting again for another celebration, this time in honor of Maverick and Penny. 

Bob and Annie were cutting it close as they pulled up to Sarah's house, the streets lined with cars that had already arrived at an appropriate time. As Annabelle raced to get her things together and jumped out of the car, Bob couldn't help but let out a chuckle at his wife's frazzled state. He had tried for a few months to help make Annie more punctual, but quickly learned he'd have to pick a different battle. Still, he loved her all the same, even stressed and late all the time. 

"Bobby, stop laughing at me and let's go. I'm in the wedding!" Annabelle let out a frustrated huff as she worked to straighten out her dress, fix her hair, and gather her bouquet all at the same time. Bobby quickly exited the car and stood in front of her to help, moving all the necessary stray pieces of hair into place and taking hold of her bouquet while she continued to fidget with her dress. 

"Okay, okay. How do I look?" 

"As beautiful as the day I met you." 

"If I had time to melt at that comment I would, but I don't so it'll have to wait." With a quick kiss to Bob's lips, Annabelle beelined it through the side gate into her mother's backyard, Bob following close behind. 

Thankfully, a few people were still finding their seats as Annabelle made her way to the front to stand behind Amelia at the archway. Nat was sitting in the front row and didn't hesitate to give Annabelle a shameful look at her late appearance. Annabelle shushed Nat quietly and gave her a playful wink as Bob took his seat behind Nat next to Fanboy and Payback. She then looked over at Maverick who was already staring at her as he tapped his watch lightly in her direction. Belle gave a quick roll of her eyes but mouthed a short apology nevertheless. In her defense, she had been late to her own wedding. Her nerves had sent her into a spiraling anxiety attack that had caused Bob to need to calm her through the door of her childhood bedroom, delaying the wedding a good half hour. So how could anyone possibly expect her to be on time to any other special event?

Annabelle was pulled from her thoughts as the wedding processional music began playing through the garden's speakers and Penny made her appearance at the far end of the aisle. Annabelle glanced at Mav to see that signature look on his face while Rooster gave him a firm squeeze on the shoulder. When Annabelle heard a small sniffle come from Amelia, she looked down at the young girl to find small tears streaming down her face. Annabelle placed a small kiss on the top of her head, prompting Amelia to look up at Annie and return the smile the pilot offered her. Despite their rocky start, Admiral Simpson and Maverick had become good friends and he now officiated Maverick's wedding. The ceremony was short and sweet and had turned into an all out party almost as soon as it had ended.