Cursed Lovers

OKAY. TRIGGER WARNING. THIS CHAPTER ISN'T PRETTY.

TW: Panic Attack, Implied Abuse, Abuse. If you are upset by any of these topics, please don't read the chapter!

Hope y'all had a good Valentine's day. Or a happy Silksong Trailer day. If you celebrate either.

Onto the ultimate divorced angst :)

Thank you to my beta reader for being so so brave and powering through this chapter!

---

Hat Kid crept into the hallway, wood creaking under her feet. The bite of cold was lesser compared to the dungeon, but it still enveloped her. She was shaking, though she suspected it was more from fear than cold this time.

Her heart raced in her throat, the thumping in her chest echoing in her ears. She strained to listen for anything: footsteps, whispers, the groan of floorboards from somewhere else. What would be scarier, hearing something approaching or being forced to wait for someone to attack?

She shot a look behind her. Snatcher was hardly visible in the dark at the bottom of the stairwell, but she could see his yellow eyes clearly reflecting bright fear. She waved him over. He shook his head.

"She's not here yet," Hat Kid whispered. "It's safe."

He hesitated, twisting his crown anxiously around his wrist. He sighed heartily and climbed the stairs. His shoulders were hunched, and his body was tense.

She looked up and down the hallway. The first time Vanessa had appeared, it was after Hattie had gone fully down the hallway. Hattie needed her to appear again, no matter how terrified she was. And no matter how scared Snatcher was.

Slowly, she snuck down the hall. Snatcher's cloak dragged on the ground behind her. She paused as she got to the end, waiting for the monster woman to burst out the door.

Nothing happened. Hat Kid hesitated. She reached for the door handle with trembling fingers.

She pressed down and threw the door open. The hinges squealed with rust, making her grit her teeth. With her umbrella drawn, she scanned the room.

No queen. No Vanessa. No scary demon. She took a cleansing breath.

Hattie glanced over her shoulder, noticing Snatcher lingering just behind. She waved him forward, silently giving the assurance that it was okay. For now.

They both crept forward. Snatcher remained a few paces behind. With another glance, Hat Kid noticed he was shaking. Wordlessly, she pulled off Snatcher's cloak and tossed it back to him. He fumbled with the fabric, most of it pooling on the ground with a soft whump.

He gave her a confused look and mouthed something. Probably "Why?" Hat Kid, not wanting to make any noise, just gave him a thumbs up.

Snatcher let out a soft sigh but put the cloak back on. He seemed relieved to be wearing it again. His trembling subsided just slightly.

Hat Kid swiftly crept to the other side of the room. She paused at the door, her fingers hovering just above the handle. She held her breath, and suddenly it was quiet enough to hear the ticking clock in her pocket, muffled by layers of clothing.

Tick. Tock. Tick. Tock.

I can't waste any more time.

She turned the door handle down and pushed it open.

The doors revealed a staircase. Hat Kid couldn't help but pause again. Really? Who puts a doorway at the end of a staircase? She wondered, infuriated and amused by its inconvenience.