8. Did I Do Something Wrong?

Moondancer and Sugarcoat walked through the plaza downtown, each of them carrying a bag from the book store. She was kind of glad to have another friend who loved reading and learning new things. The plaza was quite crowded today as it was the weekend, especially close to the café they were approaching.

"So, why didn't your other friends want to come?" Sugarcoat spoke up, looking ahead to the café.

"Sour Sweet is sick, unfortunately," Moondancer explained. "And Sunny is apparently...taking care of her. I would have gone to hang out with them and do some calm things, but she kind of just hung up. Something must have come up, she said she'd call me back as soon as she could."

"And when was that?" Sugarcoat asked, still keeping her eye on the café.

"Um...2 hours ago," Moondancer realized as she looked at her watch. "Maybe Sour Sweet needs something, right? And she's just worried, she might have forgotten." She tried to think of every possibility. It wasn't like her friends would just not want to hang out with her.

"Moondancer, I don't think anyone needs to be worried," Sugarcoat said, pointing to a table outside the café. Moondancer finally glanced over and couldn't believe her eyes. Sunny Flare and Sour Sweet were sitting there together, having food.

"Sour Sweet doesn't appear to be sick," Sugarcoat pointed out.

"I- I can't believe it," Moondancer stuttered, in shock. What were they doing out? Why didn't they call her? "Sunny Flare said she was-"

"Well, the most likely reason is that they were lying," Sugarcoat interrupted. "I think they're trying to avoid you."

"No, it doesn't make any sense," Moondancer said, trying to convince herself more than anyone. The 3 of them are best friends...right? Moondancer was just hoping to wake up from this dream. The 2 girls were talking and laughing, and Sour Sweet was obviously far from being sick. Moondancer thought back to the conversation she had with her mom the night before...and finally realized what was going on. She needed answers, now. Just as she was about to walk over, a voice called from behind her.

"Hey, Moondancer," a girl called. Moondancer turned around and fear overtook her as Indigo Zap approached her. As she got closer, Moondancer noticed that her make-up was messed up. Had she been...crying?

"What are you doing?" Sugarcoat asked Indigo as she stepped in front of Moondancer. "You can't cause any damage to her, and you're in enough trouble."

"I know, I'm not going to!" Indigo exclaimed, seeming surprised that Sugarcoat would say such a thing. "Why would I want to hurt her?"

Moondancer was lost for words for a moment, but then she spoke up. "Because you said that was exactly what you would do?!"

"Oh, right," Indigo admitted. "Well, uh...I just wanted to say that...I don't- ugh, here." Indigo took a paper out of her pocket and handed it to Moondancer. "My parents made me write it."

Moondancer opened the letter and read it, Sugarcoat looking at it as well.

Moondancer, I'm sorry for asking for your help so I did not get kicked out of school.

Moondancer stared at Indigo, unable to believe that she couldn't just own up to her actions. She was so immature. "Indigo, I think you did a little more than 'ask' for my help," Moondancer said.

"Well, whatever," Indigo replied. "Just accept it! I said sorry, okay?"

"It's the best you're going to get," Sugarcoat told Moondancer. "Let's leave it." she looked back to Indigo. "What are you doing here at the shops anyway? Shouldn't you be at the basketball game, or watching at least?"

"Yeah, not till later," Indigo explained. "First, I had to track you down and give you that letter or I'd be grounded."

"Well, alright then," Moondancer laughed. "See you, um...later," she waved awkwardly as Indigo took off. At least her parents were good people. She watched as Indigo got in a car and they drove off, and as she was just starting to wonder how they had found her...she remembered Sour Sweet and Sunny Flare. Moondancer quickly turned back towards the café to see what they were doing now, but they were nowhere to be seen.

"Hey, where did they go?" Moondancer asked.

"Maybe they finished," Sugarcoat said. "Or they saw you and didn't have an explanation, so they're hiding."

"I don't know what to do," Moondancer thought aloud.

"Well, if they're helpful to you in anyway, just ignore it-"

"No!" Moondancer shouted, cutting Sugarcoat off. "I'm sick of this! I mean, are there even any real friends in Crystal Prep? Or does everyone just want to gain something from someone else?"

Sugarcoat waited patiently until she had finished. "For most people, it's the second," she replied casually.

"Well, what about you?" Moondancer asked her.

"Think about it," Sugarcoat started. "Am I gaining anything from my friendship with you, related to school?" Moondancer thought for a minute, but couldn't come up with anything.

"You see?" Sugarcoat continued. "I was told to make more friends, but I genuinely enjoy my time with you."

Moondancer calmed down a little, realizing she was right. "Well, thank you."

"Now, let's keep shopping because no matter how much fun we're having, I need to get home by this evening." Sugarcoat told her. Moondancer smiled, and they continued down the path to the next store.

~.~.~.~.~.~.~

It had been a long afternoon of shopping and fun. They had decided to stop in at the café the other girls were at and get some food. Moondancer had gotten tomato soup, her favourite. It always comforted her, and she was very anxious today, but she had pretended she forgot about it. She hadn't, though. It was about 7:00 now, and she had finished her own school project and now she was on her computer. She tried to give Sunny a few hours in the evening to get back to her, but when nothing ever came, she decided she'd waited long enough.

Moondancer picked up her phone and dialed Sunny Flare.

"Hello?" Sunny's voice came from the other end.

"Hi, um..." Moondancer started, then looked at the clock. "It's been 9 hours since you said you'd call me." There was a pause.

"Moondancer!" Sunny laughed weirdly. "I am so sorry about that. You see, right after that happened, Sour Sweet...threw up! All over the sidewalk. And then I got her home to rest, but before we walked in the door, she...passed out! Right on the doormat. So, we had to uh, take her to the emergency room. It was awful. Long wait. She needed me to be right there with her. And then she was sent home, but she needs to rest tomorrow too. So, I'm sorry. I really just forgot."

Moondancer wasn't sure how to react to that chaotic story, seemingly put together at the last minute. "Oh...so you didn't go anywhere else today?"

"No, why would we?" Sunny said. "She was very sick, let me tell you. and if we were going out, we would have called you, silly."

Moondancer's suspicions were confirmed. Sunny was outright lying. She felt tears coming, and did the only thing she could. "Okay. Bye Sunny Flare." She hung up and put down the phone, collapsing back on her bed. She stared up at the ceiling, deep in thought. A few tears escaped her eyes, as she took a deep breath to calm down. Maybe...there was still some reasonable explanation.

What's going on with my friends? Do they hate me? Did I do something wrong?

🌙✨🌙✨🌙✨🌙✨🌙✨