9. The truth

On Sunday afternoon, Moondancer and Sugarcoat sat at the ice cream shop near the Canterlot Mall. Moondancer was having mint chocolate chip, her favourite, and Sugarcoat had chosen just plain vanilla. They sat down outside, as it was a very nice day. There were some other restaurants nearby. Moondancer took a spoon of her ice cream, then looked over at Sugarcoat.

"I still can't believe your favourite ice cream is just vanilla," she said.

"I prefer vanilla with marshmallows," Sugarcoat elaborated. "I'm very disappointed that they ran out."

"Well, mine is excellent," Moondancer said. It wasn't just the ice cream, though. It was the feeling of being downtown, having the afternoon out with a great friend. She decided not to call Sour or Sunny and wait for them to reach out to her, and all she had gotten was a text from Sunny Flare.

"So, how is Sour Sweet feeling?" Sugarcoat asked, glancing around.

Moondancer sighed. "She's feeling better, but not enough to go out anywhere. She's lost her voice, so she can't talk on the phone. And Sunny could only text me, because Sour Sweet was sleeping. I don't know why she didn't just go in another room."

"They're very strange," Sugarcoat said. "And they've been friends for a long time. If you notice, they're rarely apart from each other, especially in school."

"Yeah," Moondancer agreed. She has been noticing that a lot more recently. "Maybe it's just hard for them to accept me, but they were so nice at first."

"And what was your first time meeting them like?" Sugarcoat questioned.

"It was my first day in school," Moondancer explained. "Sour Sweet was a bit...sour, but later she apologized and she and Sunny talked to me about class."

Sugarcoat didn't hesitate to share her thought. "Moondancer, I think they're using you."

"No, they're not," Moondancer immediately denied, though she wasn't completely sure.

"It makes sense," Sugarcoat told her. "You're blinded by friendship."

"I asked them!" Moondancer exclaimed, still trying to defend her friends. "I asked them one day if they would still be friends with me if I stopped helping them, and the answer was yes." She stopped for a moment, placing her ice cream on the table and looking around, debating whether to say what she was thinking or not. "Maybe you're jealous of my friendship with them."

"Believe me, Moondancer," Sugarcoat began, getting up and grabbing her purse. "There's nothing to be jealous of. You'll see what I mean." She took her ice cream cup and walked off towards the parking lot.

"Where are you going?" Moondancer called, but Sugarcoat was already gone. Moondancer sighed, regretting what she had said. She turned around to toss her empty ice cream cup, but what she saw made her stop and gasp. At the restaurant just across the street, sat Sunny Flare and Sour Sweet. "What the heck?"

"Told you so!" Sugarcoat called as she got in her car.

Moondancer couldn't believe it. Sugarcoat knew! That was why she brought it up in the first place! She looked back over and the girls were still there, it looked like they had yet to order. She had some time. Moondancer crossed the street and stayed out of their sight, hiding around the corner. It was fairly busy, but she could hear their voices, at least. She would never eavesdrop normally, but she had to know what was going on. And if they weren't going to tell her, then this was the last option.

The 2 girls didn't say much until they received their food. Sunny had gotten a slice of pizza, and Sour Sweet had gotten spaghetti. As the waitress was about to leave, Sour stopped her.