Part 23: Date-ish

|{Rio'Quinn Martinez}|

"Papa."

"Yes Princess." Rio answered distractedly, he was busy trying to find his red varsity jacket to wear to this non-date game thingy he had with Q tonight.

"Are you and daddy gonna get married?" The little girl asked, successfully shocking her papa back to reality.

"Umm.." Rio chuckled awkwardly, clearing his throat. "Where did that come from sweetie?" She had his full attention now.

Qira shrugged. "Stacy Carmichael said that parents are supposed to get married if they love each other, do you love daddy?"

Rio looked around nervously, unsure of how to approach this. He'd never imagined getting this type of question from his three year old way too smart daughter, what the fuck was he supposed to say?

"I mean yeah i love your daddy, but it's a little more complicated than that princess. It doesn't always work that way."

"How come?"

"Umm... it's hard to explain, can you finish your breakfast? We have to go to grandpa soon, are you excited?" He tried to change the subject.

But the only response he got in return was a noncommittal shrug.

There was some silence after that. Rio continued to search for his jacket all the while thinking about what had just happened. While Qira simply played with her food.

"Papa, am I gonna have a baby brother or sister?"

Oh my God! What is going on????? Rio screamed internally. Where were all these coming from?

Just then the bell rang and he got saved by the bell. "Oops, gotta see who's at the door." He said and dashed out.

"Daddy thank God it's you." Rio Exclaimed, hugging his father.

Rico hugged his son back, wondering what was going on, daddy was what Rio called him when he was feeling vulnerable and needed comfort, or when he needed something. Rico knew that trick all too well, he and Quincy used to use it on their dad. "You okay?"

"Can you please take your granddaughter before she drives me insane? I gotta be at this thing with Qani in a couple of hours and I need to find something to wear. And just outta nowhere she wants to know when she's getting a baby brother or sister, and if Q and I are getting married."

Rico laughed. "Breathe, you're gonna pass out." He said, taking off his coat. "The reason I'm here is to take her, Qani called and asked if I could, he felt like you'd be having a meltdown and clearly he was right."

Rio looked down sadly. "I hate that he knows me so well."

Rico studied his son for a while, watching him fidget like a little kid was hard to watch. "Come on, come sit down." He instructed and Rio followed his dad to the couch.