Redemption

Ash sat up, wincing at the pain and effort it took. "It's fine." He said gruffly. He forced himself up to his feet, wobbling slightly. He looked to shout up to Thomas. "You bastard! You'll never get away with this!" Thomas chuckled evilly. "Oh, but I think I will." He watched in horror as Thomas pulled out a pistol, aiming it directly at him. He hardly had a moment's notice before Thomas pulled the trigger. The bullet came whizzing through the air, and it slammed directly into Ash's left shoulder. He stumbled back as the bullet ripped through and out the other side. He didn't even have time for any pain to set in. before another round slammed into his exposed side. A searing heat pain went flooding through his side and shoulder like someone had touched a piece of burning metal to everything on the inside. Ash fell to his knees, looking at Kiera. He saw the horror in her eyes, as he fell to the ground, facefirst. He felt the pain getting fainter, and his world began to go dark.

____________________________

Kiera watched in horror as Thomas fired the gun, sending bullets ripping through the air, and slamming into Ash. There was nothing she could do as he fell to the ground, unmoving. She turned to look at Thomas. He was laughing. "You sick, twisted, son of a-" Thomas cut her off. "Ah ah ah, watch your temper young lady, you wouldn't want to end up like your little friend there, would you?" Kiera continued. "I hope you burn in Hell for this. Actually, scratch that, I KNOW you'll burn in Hell for this." Thomas scowled at her, and he was about to say something when a roar echoed through the caves. He turned to look over his shoulder, then back to Kiera. "I'd love to stay and chat, maybe put a hole in that pretty little head of yours, but I've got a lot of gold that needs a new home, so maybe I'll just let natural elements have their fun with you." He turned to walk away to where he had already loaded up gold in a minecart. "You were a nice pawn while you lasted Kiera, such a shame you had to go and get a conscience." Kiera turned to look at Ash, and she whispered to herself. "I've hidden it for too long." She turned to look at Ash, facedown on the ground. She knelt down next to him and rolled him over. His eyes were closed, almost like he was just sleeping. She knelt down next to him, unable to hold back tears. "I-I'm sorry Ash... This is all my fault. I should've told you what was going on.." She sniffled, trying to compose herself. "Now...Because of me...You'll never see your family again..." She broke down, crying over his body. She noticed a strange blue glow appear behind her. She whipped around, tears still streaming down her cheeks. She saw a glowing figure behind her. The figure called out to her. "My name is Ahtunowhiho, I am Ash's spirit guide. He has been through great hardship in his time down here. Who are you, then?" Kiera took a moment to find words. "I uh... I'm Kiera. Do you know how we can help him?" Ahtunowhiho looked Ash over and pursed his lips together. "This was most definitely unanticipated. There is nothing I can do for him." He said. Kiera turned away as sobs ripped through her chest. Ahtunowhiho continued. "Yes, there is nothing I can do for him, but maybe, there is something you can." She turned back to look at him. "What do you mean?" Ahtunowhiho began the tale. "You see, Ash has a very important destiny he needs to fulfill. He will save the world from the beasts that inhabit this mountain. His line of ancestry comes right from my own. He is the last living descendant of the Katahdin tribe, hence, after completing a series of horribly difficult and obscene trials, he has earned the rank of Chief. With rank, comes great responsibility. It is a burden that my lineage must overcome. For generations, my bloodline has been the one to beat the beasts back into the mountains. This time, the beasts have become much too restless. There is nothing Ash can do to keep them in the mountains now." Kiera looked at him with a puzzled expression. "What will he have to do?" Ahtonowhiho's gaze met hers. "He will have to fight the beasts in a ruined world, and if he is unable to, the beasts will run rampant and destroy the world." Kiera's eyes widened, and she looked at Ash. "Ash is going to save the world?" "Yes," Ahtunowhiho responded, "But first, you need to save him." Kiera nodded, "What can I do?"