Chapter 6

2 Weeks later in Chicago

Will's POV

Just another half hour and then I'll finally be off work. This shift was really exhausting today.

I also tried to call Jay this morning but it only went to voicemail which confused me but probably he was just too busy with work. It will be the same with Hailey because she didn't answer her phone either.

I went up to Maggie and handed her a patient file. "Hopefully that was the last patient for today. I really need to get some sleep." 
Maggie took the patient file from me. "Sorry to disappoint you Will,there are two patients waiting for you in treatment room 3."
"Come on Maggie can't someone else do it. I'm sure Dr. Choi has time and he hasn't had as many patients today as I had."

Maggie swallowed for a moment and looked at me seriously.
"No unfortunately no one else can do it. These patients have specific asked for you."
"Then I'll just do overtime again today. Sleep is overrated anyway."
I said slightly annoyed and went to treatment room 3 with Maggie but before I could pull the curtain away Maggie held me by the arm. "Don't get scared right now please."

"I've seen a lot of things Maggie, nothing is going to throw me off the road that quickly."
I looked at Maggie and realized something was wrong. "What's wrong Maggie?"
"It's your brother and his wife. They had an accident."

I immediately ripped the curtain away and went into the treatment room with Maggie.
Hailey was lying on the treatment table and Jay was sitting next to her, holding her hand.

I looked at the two of them and was immediately concerned.
Was that why I hadn't reached them both today?

"Oh my god you two,what happened? Are you guys okay? And why are you in Chicago?"
Jay looked up at me. "Will, good you're finally here. We didn't know where to go. So I went to the hospital with Hailey, hoping you were on duty." 
"You did the right thing coming over. Maggie said you guys had an accident?"
"Yeah we had a little accident and now Hailey's not doing so well and we suspect it's related to the accident."

"What exactly was the accident?" 
Jay didn't answer me right away and looked at his wife. "Where was the accident again Hails?" 
"I think it was in your truck."

"So you guys were in a car accident? Can you just not remember the accident or more?" I asked Jay, shining the pupil light in his eyes.
"I can remember it all and I'm fine. Hailey's just not doing so well.It wasn't really a car accident either because we weren't really driving, it was kind of when we were backing out."

I looked at my sister-in-law. "Hailey, what hurts?"
I began to pat her down. "Nothing really hurts but I'm really nauseous and I've been throwing up.I also have a little stomachache and headache."
"Nausea and headache could indicate a concussion. Did you hit your head somewhere?"
I shine a light in her pupils as well. "No my head didn't hit anywhere."
"Your pupils are equal, which is good. Does it hurt when you move your head?"
"No it doesn't hurt and it's also more this nausea that's so bad."

I just nodded and looked to Maggie.
"Sign Hailey up for the CT scan, please. And I want to get some blood work done. It's best if we x-ray her, too."
"I'm afraid we can't do a CT and X-ray today." "Why not? She was in an car accident. I need to be able to rule out worse internal injuries," I reply, slightly angry and worried at the same time.

"It's not possible for specific reasons and I had blood drawn earlier. The results should be in soon." Maggie answered me and left the treatment room.

I really couldn't understand why everyone was acting so strange.
Maggie was completely different than usual and Hailey and Jay didn't seem to be themselves, but maybe that was because of the shock of the accident.

"Then I'll do an ultrasound to rule out any internal injuries."
I took the ultrasound machine and asked Hailey to pull up her shirt.
"It's going to get cold on your stomach for a minute, Hailey. I don't think you have any internal injuries but I want to make sure."
I did an ultrasound on Hailey and couldn't believe what I was seeing. "How long ago was the accident?" I asked them both. "Twelve weeks" Hailey answered my question.

Maggie came in and handed me an envelope. "Here are the blood results."
I frantically tore open the envelope to see if it confirmed the ultrasound results and pulled out a note that said 'You're going to be an uncle'.

Jay looked at me. "Does everything look normal in her blood work and on the ultrasound?"
I continued to stare at the note and the screen of the ultrasound machine, unable to answer.

Hailey looked to Jay. "I think we overdid it and broke your brother."
"No Will can take so much before he breaks. But I also thought the doctor study would have been more beneficial and he would have come up with pregnancy right away."

I immediately defended myself. "If you hadn't said it was a car accident, I would have figured it out faster. You gave me wrong details that therefore didn't immediately lead me to the diagnosis of 'pregnant'."
"It really was a car accident, so to speak, though. After all, it wasn't planned and probably happened in the car. We just interpreted the truth a little differently for you." Said my brother, grinning cheekily at me.

"I'm really going to be an uncle?" 
"Yes,you are getting promoted to an uncle" said Hailey wiping the gel off her stomach and pulling her shirt straight again.

"Couldn't you two have told me like normal people? I was really scared that something bad happened."
The two looked at each other grinning and then looked at me before answering at the same time. "No, where would have been the fun in that."
I hugged them both and was so happy to be an uncle soon.