ONE

penelope

whoever said being the maid of honor was fun was a sick and twisted person. here i stand, bobby pins between my teeth, sweat beads on my forehead, and enough chest pain to kill a horse in order to make sure everything is perfect for my best friend on her wedding day.

celeste has been my best friend since middle school. i never could remember a time when we didn't imagine ourselves as the maid of honor in each other's weddings. we did always think i would be the first to get married considering my long term boyfriend, that was until he decided he didn't like me anymore, well girls really. celeste met jack at a party we went to in the greek village at one of the local colleges. i swear the two hooked up for three years before they admitted they were dating.

i'm snapped out of my thoughts when i hear celeste's high pitched screech. i wince and drop the box of bobby pins i'm holding. when i look up to my best friend i see a pout on her freshly glossed lips. i raise an eyebrow at her, giving her out signature "what's up with you?" cue.

"the florist is going to be ten minutes late!" celeste drops down into the chair beside her, huffing on her way.

i shake my head, squatting down in front of her. "cel, everything's going to be fine. your whole bridal party is here, the dj is ready to play your pre-ceremony music, i have the rings, jack and the boys are-" i cut myself off. i haven't even seen jack and the boys.

"oh my god." celeste gasps. "he's bailing."

i let out a laugh. "he's not bailing babe. you relax, i'll find your knight in shining fraternity shirt." i wink at her.

celeste lightly laughs, smoothing her hand over my arm. "i love you, p. thank you."

i grab my phone, walking out of the room to the hallway of the beautiful venue where the ceremony will be held. i pull jacks contact up, about to call him to rip him a new one for stressing his future wife out on her god forsaken wedding day. i click his contact, putting the phone to my ear and waiting for jack to pick up. he doesn't.

"mother fu-" i run into someone as i'm not paying one bit of attention to anything other than the so called runaway groom. "i'm so sor-"

well if it isn't the best man or the worst man as i have been calling him since jack announced he'd appointed him to be his right hand on his wedding day. trevor.

"where's jack?" i keep my question short and to the point, not wanting to talk to him longer than i need. trevor's eyes roll harshly to the back of his head as if my question just killed his childhood dog.

"very nice to see you too penelope." he sarcastically smiles. "come with me." he waves his hand and starts walking towards the room where the boys were supposed to be getting ready.

i will admit, the black suit, elegant black tie, and small baby pink boutonnière on his chest pocket do him justice. the guy cleans up well.

i follow trevor into the large room where there are about ten boys in their mid to late twenties, in suits, playing video games, and taking shots.

"p!" jack yells when he notices i've arrived in the room.

he gets up off the couch after pausing the very intense game of what looks to be fortnite. it doesn't take long before jack is stumbling over to me.

"oh my god." my eyes widen. "you're drunk."

oh celeste is going to lose her shit.

jack laughs and grips my shoulder, leaning on me. he brings his fingers up to my face, pinching his index finger and thumb together. "a little bit."