FORTY THREE

penelope

i'm completely exhausted when hour ten of labor nears without an end in sight. i thank my lucky stars i'm not in pain anymore, just completely uncomfortable. i've tried sleeping which is deemed nearly impossible.

trevor isn't saying he's nervous but i can tell. i've gotten good at reading trevor, so good i'm nearly fluent at this point. his knee bounces up and down as he bites the side of his cheek all while he stares at me.

"i'm fine, trev." i blankly say as i stare at the ceiling.

"right-right! i know you are." he claps his hands as he stands to pace the length of the delivery room. "you're such a girl boss, p i had not reason to doubt you."

i groan at his terminology. "do not call me a girl boss."

"well you are on-sorry." he starts but catches my glaring eyes i'm sending his way. he runs an anxious hand through his hair, pulling his sweatshirt away from his neck. "how much longer is this going to take? it's hot in here right?-i'm burning up."

i let out a painful sigh, just wishing trevor would take a walk to the cafeteria like i suggested but he refuses to do so, worried he'll miss the birth of "his first child." even after i assure him that i'm not even close to being ready to push.

"sorry trev is the labor too hard on you?"

he freezes and turns with a scared look on his face. i stifle a laugh, smirking evilly. he catches on to my joke, calling his nerves a little bit.

i point to the couch. "why don't you try to take a little nap? by the time you wake up, i'll be closer to pushing. i promise i'll wake you up if something happens."

i really just want trevor off my case and for a little peace and quiet. his anxiety is making my anxiety skyrocket. the poor guy is being such a trooper.

he nods, grabbing the blanket and pillow he drug along with us. "you promise you'll wake me up?"

i hold my pinky out before trevor quickly locks his pinky around mine. "promise."

he sighs before sprawling himself out on the hospital couch, curling up under the blanket, closing his eyes. i sigh in content, closing mine as well basking in the quiet. but with trevor? that serenity lasts approximately four and half minutes.

"penelope?" he's questioning out in the open.

i sigh, dropping my head to the side before opening my eyes so i can look at him. i raise my eyebrows, encouraging him to go on with his question.

"i was wondering when the baby comes what you would like to eat for your first meal?"

i hate to get mad at him because he's so sweet, but we really gotta work on his timing.

i shrug. "anything trev."

"okay." he sighs, closing his eyes again.

i adjust my head against the pillow and shortly after i finally find a comfortable position that i might actually be able to fall asleep in, trevor's talking again. i let out a huff, secretly hoping trevor picks up on my slight annoyance.

"well i know you decided on breastfeeding so like when you're doing that, are you allowed to drink?" he genuinely asks.

"i don't know babe, we'll have to ask the doctor." i say, already know the answer but not wanting to explain to him and open the door to a million other questions.

trevor nods, laying his head back down on the pillow. "good idea, babe."

he doesn't lay down for long before he's fully sitting up on the couch with the blanket still on his lap, phone in his hand. i'm ignoring his movements trying to rest when he inhales, letting me know he's about to start talking again.