NINE

penelope

here i am. sitting on a huge charter yacht going out into the middle of the ocean to fucking fish if it means trevor will be happy. i sigh deeply as i see fishing poles being rigged with huge hooks and even bigger fish to use as bait. my eyes widen in terror. those poor fish.

"stop feeling bad for the fish." trevor plops down beside me.

"trevor look at them!" i point. "they're going to get eaten."

"they're already dead, penelope." he sighs.

i can't help but think they had a family to come home to and how their family must be wondering where they are right now. i reach into my bag and pull out my tanning oil because if i'm going to fish, i'm going to at least get a tan while doing it. i spray the dry oil on my legs, arms, and chest before rubbing it in.

trevor is smirking over at me and even though i can't see his eyes through his sunglasses, i know just where they're looking. perhaps at a well oiled chest that is barely covered by a baby blue string bikini top.

i groan. "god! for someone who hates me you sure do like my boobs."

he shrugs. "it would be a crime for me to lie and say i didn't."

he didn't even deny that he hates me.

trevor turns to face the back of the boat and i'm throughly surprised when he lays back on me. his sunkissed back rests against my arm and i'm so stiff he can't be comfortable. he wrestles around a bit trying to find a comfortable position until he groans and turns back to face me.

"just put your arm around me would you?" he grabs my wrist and leans back, wrapping my arm around him in the process so my palm rests against his pec.

he wanted me to put my arm around him and now he's cuddled up into me like he's...mine.

"make it believable baby." he kisses the top of my hand and i swear i just about melt.

"not too much." i mumble and scratch my nails across trevor's chest.

"mhmm. not too much but you're making my nipples hard." he teases.

i tug hard on one of the few chest hairs he has at his response.

"ouch!" he screeches. "i am so done being your fake husband."

i laugh as he sits back up and looks at me for a second longer than usual. his infamous shit eating grin appears on his face and it makes me blush because his eyes are burning holes into me.

"what!" i laugh nervously, slightly kicking him in the thigh.

he shakes his head and rubs my calf gently. after i swear he knows he's got me worked up, he gets up from his spot and starts walking to over to the large cooler.

"drink?" he asks.

"surprise me." i shrug.

he reaches down into the cooler and throws me a can. "surprise! you get a miller lite."

i stand up and walk over to him, cold can in my head. "i bet i can shotgun faster than you." i challenge.

trevor let's out a pathetic laugh.

"don't be stupid, p."

i shrug and bit down on the can, puncturing it with my sharp tooth. a small amount of beer sprays everywhere including the side of my face.

"okay trev. show me up then." i hold my can sideways, ready to pop the tap.

trevor repeats my motion and stands facing me, silently challenging me. i give him a "go ahead" look with my eyes and we both tip our heads back and chug down the liquid. i drop my can to the floor of the boat and wipe my mouth with the back of my hand. trevor's still chugging.

i walk over to him, smiling smugly. he looks at me in disbelief. i pat his chest and grab the empty can out of his hand.

"you know who taught me how to do that?" i question.

he rolls his eyes.

"the harvard boys." i joke.

i swear he struggles to hold back a laugh. he stomps over to me and throws me over his shoulder just like he did at the wedding. i bang my fist against his back, demanding for him to put me down before i puke.

when he sets me down he grabs my arms to hold me steady. "you good?"

i nod. "i'm good."

-

"trevor! you didn't tell me we were fishing for sharks!" i scream using all my energy to reel this fishing pole that's taller and i'm convinced heavier than me.

he laughs, reeling his fishing pole on the other side of the boat. "you wouldn't have come if i told you the truth!"

he's right. i didn't even want to come in the first place. i have been standing here reeling this stupid shark in for 30 minutes now and i'm exhausted. not to mention the three hours we've spent out here before we even got a bite. i suddenly don't feel bad for these dumb fish anymore.

"p!" trevor shouts and i look back to see him and one of the first mates pulling a shark over board.

i gasp and shove my fishing pole to the guy who was supposedly helping me reel my shark in. it's safe to say he didn't pull his weight.

"oh my god!" i screech as the large shark flops around inside the boat. "get it out!"

trevor shakes his head. "picture, picture! g-grab the - my phone! my phone, grab it, penelope. hurry!" he can hardly talk because he's so excited.

he lets out a loud laugh and poses for the picture with the first mate who helped him reel it in. even thought i hate the thought of this poor shark suffering, seeing trevor so happy makes my heart swell. he's jumping around and laughing like a kid on christmas morning.

"get over there with your hubby!" the captain is walking away from the wheel of the boat and taking trevor's phone to take a picture.

"oh no he's no-"

trevor holds his arms out, a seductive look on his face. "get over here wifey."

i intensely blush and hope trevor mistakes it for a sunburn because i would hate to admit to the sly son of a bitch that i don't mind playing pretend with him, in fact i actually really like it.