chapter twenty seven : never let me down again

[XXVII]

I KNEW I would never get anything done again while this girl walked the earth.

Anything I ever wanted, needed, dreamed of, seemed to melt into a curious nothing in my mind. I couldn't seem to think of anything else. Because her lips were on mine.

I mean, it was fireworks, butterflies, thunderstorms; all oscillating inside my gut, setting my body alight as her broad fingers that had grabbed each side of my face gently slid down my neck, sending ripples of excruciating pleasure through my soul, and down the side of my body, sitting on my waist and holding tight, as if loosening her grip would cause me to blow away like a leaf in the wind.

"Ahem," someone said. I reluctantly pulled away from Ellie, feeling the sting of her absence as I left, but she wouldn't stop looking at me, still something unspoken in her eyes after what had happened. I couldn't believe she'd kissed me. We had always been so muddled about where we stood with each other, but I never thought...never mind. I tried to shake my giddiness and confusion temporarily and turned to address the speaker.

It was Dina. "Hey. I remember you. You're Dina, right?"

She smiled. "Bingo. I was just, uh, wondering if we could get out of this holding cell?"

I looked around. I mean, there weren't any bars per se, but I assumed it was kind of a one-way-in, no-way-out sort of room, meaning they were essentially trapped here.

"Now they know you're with me, they'll let you out. No problem."

Dina nodded, and I was surprised to meet with the arms of Lev. He curled his arms around me, and I could feel how lithe he had really become. They must have had it so rough out there.

"I know we didn't know each other for too long, but I was so worried..."

I embraced him back, touched that he had cared so much for my well-being. "Is Finn okay?"

"Safe and sound in the Facility."

"The...Facility?"

"Welcome, travellers. To the Purple Emperor Sanctuary," a voice called from behind us. I rolled my eyes. I had hoped my mum would be the one to commence introductions, but as usual, Henderson had managed to make himself the forefront of everything.

Ellie continued to looked at me, now blended with a concoction of confusion as well as something that looked akin to anger. It seemed she remembered my affiliation with the Purple Emperor butterfly. I would have to explain a lot.

"I gather you are Amelia's friends?" They nodded sequentially. "Then you are free to stay as long as you like. We have already checked your infection status; all clear, besides..." he glanced at Ellie. "But you seem to be immune. Don't worry, there's a place for you too here."

He gave her a wink, and Ellie looked like she was about to vomit. I tried not to laugh.

Henderson keyed us out of the holding room and took us back through the security sector outside. The day had waned into darkness by now, the last of the sun having dipped underneath and giving us stars in return for its absence.

"I'll take you somewhere to rest, and give you the tour in the morning," he concluded, but I stopped him.

"Ellie's a little injured, so I'm going to take her to the infirmary," I said, desperate for a moment alone with her, so I could explain, or figure out why she had kissed me, or anything that would help my mind slow from a hundred miles per hour.

Henderson nodded and led he others towards the Primary Living Quarters, which they seemed reluctant to go to at first, but I assured them they would be fine. So as they faded further into the distance, it was just me, Ellie, and the stars.