PROLOGUE

Our first day in New York is starting strong. It was a four-hour trip from Baltimore to get here, but I'd say it was worth it.

Rowan and I have been planning this big move for a long, long time. We wanted a do-over after growing old enough to leave our homes. I have a few relatives here, but for now, Rowan's the only one I can lean on.

My powers haven't been bugging me as much, lately. I've been seeing quite a few auras around the city. Most people are happy, surrounded by a golden, striving aura. Others are angry, some afraid, and a few are sad.

Rowan was a bit afraid earlier, as was I. Moving is never easy. It's just-

Getting in a car and driving away changed my life forever. There's no going back...and there's no need to say that because I don't want to go back anyway.

Putting it more understandably, we didn't have the best time at home. So, we chose to move to New York. The city never sleeps, which was fitting as we didn't get much rest either half of the time.

Approaching the apartment building in which we booked a room on the fifth floor before arrival, I looked behind me to make sure Rowan wasn't side-tracked or not following me.

I asked the man at the front desk to check and make sure our reservation went through. Sure enough, it did. We each got a pair of keys.

"Do you think this move was worth it?" Rowan asked me. "I sure hope so...we didn't get out of our parents' shitty homes for nothing," I responded, feeling a bit unsure.

Once getting into our apartment, room 503, I looked around a bit to try and see where I could place which belongings. We had a lot of stuff to unpack, though it was just the two of us.

"Rowan!" I called out. "Start unpacking your things, the room to the left is yours!".

"All right!" He yelled back.

I entered my room. The aroma of lavender emitted from the plug-in air freshener on the wall. I began to unpack.

I put my clothes in the crimson dresser just beside my bed, set my cologne and other body butters on the dresser, plugged my laptop and phone charger into the wall, and also replaced the generic white pillowcases with some of my own, as well as spreading out my blanket.

The household items were a different story, as I felt Rowan and I could figure it out together sooner or later. We were both pretty tired from the trip, despite it being swift.

I decided to check up on my best friend, just because I was curious to see if he'd listened to me.

"Rowan?" I said, peeking my head around the corner of his open doorway. Not that I doubted him, but he indeed unpacked his things.

"Yes...?" He replied. "Never mind, I was just making sure you unpacked your stuff." I smiled; he smiled back at me.

The light outside soon went from hazy to pitch black in a matter of minutes, and we hadn't even settled on dinner yet.

Rowan and I were sitting on the couch watching the Television. The thought irked me until I gained the courage to ask him, "Are we ordering something?"

"...I'm not that hungry. What about you?" He asked. I shook my head; I wasn't too hungry either. I was too exhausted to ring up a local food place after such a long trip. After finishing our show, we began to wind down.

Rowan was in his room; I was in mine. The door was shut, and my bedside lamp was on. I liked to listen to the sounds of the television while trying to rest, so I turned on the Nature Channel and lowered the volume to an acceptable level.

Soon, my eyes felt heavy, and I could slowly but surely feel myself drifting off to sleep.

I hope our life here is what we planned for it to be.