CHAPTER TWO - Hostages

A month has passed since we moved here, and I gotta admit, things have been greater than I'd ever imagined.

It's not just me, Rowan proved to me this change was probably the best thing that's ever happened to him. We're equally grateful that we got the chance to make this move.

I've been watching the news lately to show my respects to April and mostly to how hard she works as a reporter. She can be charming at times. It'd be nice to have more friends like her.

As time flew by, so did our food. I noticed that we were low on meals and snacks, so I considered going out to stock up again.

Rowan was dormant in his room, but I made sure to knock and notify him that I was leaving.

"I'm going out for a little while. I'll be home with groceries, ok?"

"Ok. Stay safe, Ren!" He responded as I walked out the door, locking it behind me.

I wanted the trip to be quick, and the store wasn't too far away. I didn't take the car, which hit me when I was halfway there. I didn't care, though.

"Hopefully nothing goes wrong..." I thought with doubt.

After checking out, I exited the store and was stopped by a group of men in the parking lot. It was just beside the store, in the direction of my apartment. Little did they know, I was prepared for this. I had pepper spray on me just in case.

"Aw...hey there, princess." One of the guys said to me, a small firearm visible in the side of his pants. "Why don't you hand over that wallet?" Another said, pulling my arm in an attempt to make me drop my bags.

"How about you keep your goddamn hands to yourself-!" I shoved him, pulling out my pepper spray and pushing down on it. I covered my eyes to be safe with my free hand.

I heard the men yell, and then what sounded like four pairs of feet dropping from behind me. More commotion followed masculine yelling and whipping coming from in front of me.

"You want some more, brah?" I heard. Opening my eyes and tossing my pepper spray aside, I saw four...turtles with ninja weapons?

"Ok...not something you see every day but at least they saved me, right?" I thought, observing each of them.

"Are you okay, sir?" The one in the blue mask asked me, Katanas in his three-fingered hands.

I smiled. "Yeah, I'm fine...thank you."

"You ain't afraid?" I then looked over to see another, taller and rougher-looking turtle in a red mask with Sais in the holsters on his hips.

"Not really...no. You saved me, after all. What's to fear?" I responded.

"Happy to help you," The blue masked one said to me, smiling and holding his hand out. "Mind telling us your name? We'll give you ours in return."

I shook his hand. "Korren...K, o, r, r, e, n. What are yours?" I asked.

"I'm Leo." He responded. "These are my brothers," Leonardo then turned around. "Michelangelo, Raphael, and Donatello."

"Uh...Leo?" The turtle in the purple mask chimed in, pushing his glasses up. "We should probably get going before Sensei finds out we're gone."

Leonardo nodded, picking up my bags and handing them to me.

He moved a bit closer, looking me dead in the eyes. "Listen, don't tell anyone about this...or we will find you." He then pointed at me. "Got that?"

I nodded. "I won't tell anyone. I promise."

I watched in awe as they jumped back up to the rooftops, disappearing back into the night. I sighed and began walking back home. I couldn't stop thinking about everything that just happened.