CHAPTER THREE - Trust

As soon as I saw the purple aura around Rowan, I knew for sure that some had indeed gone down. Relieved, I hugged him, out of breath from my lengthy sprint.

"Thank god you're alive," I said, sighing in relief. We embraced each other for a moment before looking at the many armored officers entering the metro, helping hostages out back onto the streets.

"I saw your message after listening to the news. I didn't waste a second getting here," Rowan smiled. "I'm fine. What about you?"

"Well..." I stopped, thinking for a moment. I promised to keep the turtles' secret safe. If I brought it up to Rowan, I'd be selling them out. I didn't want them to 'find me' or whatever, so I simply replied with a sheepish "...Never mind, nothing eventful happened during my trip to the market."

We were heading back home when I heard hollering above me. Looking to my left and tilting my head up, I saw the brief silhouettes of what I assumed were the turtles. Rowan stopped too, looking at me.

"You good?" He asked. I nodded, "Yeah! I'm fine."

We eventually made it back to the apartment. After everything that happened, we were both exhausted. I quickly slipped my night clothes on and climbed underneath the covers. The soft sound of the TV became muffled as I drifted off.

Even while I was resting, my mind was still racing about what happened earlier. Turtles in the streets of New York? It's the kind of thing we see in those Science-Fiction movies. It's not what I expected to see when I moved here. Then again...I don't know what to expect anymore.

Waking up, I was a bit more paranoid than usual. While eating my breakfast, I was constantly looking at the dining room window to see if anyone was peeking inside. You know...like a ninja turtle who saved me last night from a group of rookie robbers.

Rowan noticed me as he walked into the dining room to get a glass of water.

"Korren, what are you staring at?" His sudden input snapped me out of my paranoia.

"Huh?" I peered over at him. "I said...'What are you staring at?'" He asked again.

"Nothing, I'm not looking at anything." I lied, finishing up my breakfast.

"Whatever you say..." I heard Rowan mumble as he walked back to his room with his now full glass of water.

Seeing as the sink was full, I took this chance to roll up my sleeves and begin washing the dishes. After finishing, the tips of my fingers now looked like prunes.

"Good...now everything is clean." I thought to myself, smiling.

A sudden tap on the window made my heart sink. I didn't doubt them when they said they'd find me, but I also didn't think they were capable of it.

Turning around, I saw him...er, them. Leo, Raph, Donnie, and Mikey. I opened the window and let them in.

"What are you guys doing here?" I asked, looking into Leonardo's eyes.

"We wanted to know if you told anyone about us or not," he said, crossing his arms. "So..." Raphael approached me, cracking his knuckles. "...Did you?"

I shook my head, "Of course, I didn't. I promised I wouldn't tell anyone."

Just after I spoke, I heard Rowan's door open, then his voice.

"Hey Korren, have you seen my-" Rowan suddenly stopped speaking. I turned around to see his priceless expression. He dropped his glass of water on the floor, which shattered and soaked the dining room floor.

"...All right. What the hell?" He said, throwing his hands in the air as his eyes widened further.

I rubbed the bridge of my nose with my index finger and sighed.

"Leo, help me out here..." I sighed, my eyes closed and my head down.

"Look, we're the ones who saved your friend last night...as well as taking down those foot soldiers in the metro," Leonardo explained. "Since you both know of our existence...our Sensei wanted to meet you." Donnie chimed in, pushing up his glasses.

"...just to see if you were, y'know, trustworthy enough." He continued.

Rowan still looked pretty confused, but he eventually slid his hands into the pockets of his sweatpants and said that he'd get his shoes on. "I'll get my shoes on,"

"I'll...go get ready, too. Feel free to look around, er...whatever." I said, looking back at them. Leo nodded in acknowledgment.

I slipped on my beanie, combed my thick, black hair out of my face, and slipped on an outfit I felt was acceptable to be topped with a hoodie.

Exiting my room, I saw that the turtles had been winding down in our apartment. I shifted into focus to see what they were thinking.

"If they don't comply, then...what am I going to tell Sensei?" I sensed from Leo, a purple aura surrounding his figure. "Don't worry Leo...I'm on board."

"This place is sick! This is what apartments in New York City are like?!" I sensed from Mikey, a golden aura around him. "Aw...he's just about as hyped as I am about our new home."

"How long are they going to take? Sensei's gonna send us to the Hashi again." I sensed from Raph, a hot, red aura surrounding him. "Raph's kinda impatient...wouldn't want to piss him off later."

I noticed Donnie on the floor, cleaning up the mess Rowan made with the cup, a gloomy, blue aura surrounded him. "Hopefully we don't barge in and terrify more innocent people like that again..."

"Oh, Donnie...you don't have to do that for us."

After another minute or two, Rowan came out of his room, dressed and refreshed.

"Ok, we're ready," I said, walking into the living room.

Before I knew it, bags we're slipped over our heads. I felt myself being pulled out of the apartment window, one of the turtles had a tight grip on me.

If I die a horrible death at the hands of four turtles...I want Rowan to know that I'm sorry.