Chapter 3

The next day was a 'Monday', Mariam woke up very early as usual knowing fully well that her boss at work is very careful of time and does not at all favour lateness to work, that's Ahmad Ayo for everyone.

She got up, prayed and quickly freshened up into a black skirt, white collared shirt and a black skirt for work completed the look by choosing a black jersey veil which she kept aside to brush her hair first.

The suit is what is expected of her to wear as a receptionist of the Star Multimedia company, and one is not being fair to say that Mariam looks 'Just okay.' in her usual office outfit, because she, without a doubt, looks more than 'okay'. Everything seems to fit her proportionate body.

She remembered the last and first time she went to office late due to some delays at home,  Ahmad has warned her strictly saying in his usual deep stern voice "Late coming is not appreciated in start multimedia. It's either you come early, or simply resign."

In addition to that, he actually reduced her salary for that particular month saying
"This is to teach you a lesson which I hope has been learnt."

She obviously does not want to loose her job through which she manage to feed her self and sometime buy food stuffs for the family.
She carried her black hair crush combing her long silky hair which she had inherited from her shuwa arab mother heritage including the small straight nose.

Her hair that used to be waist length is now at her back, many features of hers has changed after getting married to Amir, his poor status seriously affecting her.

People usually say 'Marrigae is happiness' but her own marriage is the opposite, and that is because her husband deceived her. She finally covered her parked hair with a white cap and a black jersey veil on top.

Mariam quickly made her bed and swept the small room, she then stepped out of her room and made her way to the kitchen to make breakfast with the little food stuffs that Amir had brought yesterday night.

She checked the time only to see that she's running out of allocated time so she just sticked to eating bread and a Lipton tea since there was no milk to use in it.

She was just about to step out of the kitchen when a figure appeared inside. She thought it will probably be Basira waking up as usual to cook for herself and Amir but she was proven wrong to see Amir staring back at her.

"Mariam...." Amir called her name standing by the door to block the way for her when he noticed that she is still refusing to even talk to him.

"Please move, I want to go." She replied ignoring the apologetic stare he's giving her now.

"Mariam....hear me out please.... I'm really sorry I swear. I wanted to tell you...I..I'm sorry Mariam." he said pleasingly hoping that she will accept his apologies.

Mariam rolled her eyes and said  "look please move... I'm getting late."

Amar hesitatingly moved for her to pass which she gladly did. Mariam walked to the parlour to take her tea and bread there before going but to her surprise. Her mother-in-law is there, sitting on the brown couch with her black handbag beside her.

"Good morning." Mariam greeted even through she knows that Hanifa was never going to answer her. She has never been good at communicating with Hanifa to the extent that she feels so uncomfortable around her yet she gathered the courage and sat opposite her.

Mariam ignored the fact that Hanifa didn't reply to her greeting and continued taking sips of her black tea that has no milk or milo. Mariam wish she knows why Hanifa hates her to the extent where she does not even look at her sometimes.

Amir never wake up early but now it explains why he's awake so early, maybe it's because his mother is here.