part two

Harry got his acceptance letter from the Gerard Williams Art Institute exactly two days before he was going to get married to Louis. At first, he was overjoyed. He'd wanted to go to this school for so long and he couldn't believe he'd been accepted. It had been six weeks since he'd applied and when he hadn't heard back, he was dejected, wondering if he had it in him to become an artist after all. But then he got the letter. Omegas rarely got accepted to this program and Harry knew he had to go.

However, once that happy feeling settled in, he was immediately filled with dread and anxiety. Harry was going to get married in two days. How would he get to go to his dream school if he got married?

His arranged marriage with Louis was set when he was presented to society the previous summer. Harry liked the idea of dressing up and being at the center of everyone's attention as a newly presented omega, but he wasn't interested in getting married just yet. His parents, on the other hand, had different ideas. They introduced him to Louis, the alpha son of a well-known and rich family in London. Turned out the Tomlinsons had been talking to Harry's parents for a while and they wanted to bring their families together with Harry and Louis' marriage.

And so Harry and Louis entered into a courtship.

It was horrendous at first, but only because Harry was so resistant. He hated it. He didn't want to get married, let alone have an arranged marriage, and he didn't want to get to know Louis, even if he was a very handsome alpha that had a way with words. It was frustrating, really, because if Louis was terrible then this whole ruse would be over with. But Louis wasn't terrible. The alpha was patient and gentle and so unbelievably kind. More than Harry deserved with all of his silent treatments and difficult attitudes. Over time, Louis began chipping away at the omega's walls during their long promenades around the park, in between dances at the balls and joined family dinners.

The turning point for Harry came on a winter night. He was struggling to finish a painting he was working on. He'd gone to the botanical garden earlier that week and wanted to recreate the flowers there, but he couldn't get the shade of purple he'd seen right. No matter what colors he mixed or the depth of his paintbrush strokes, it looked wrong. Frustrated, he moved his arm back against his table at one point, and all of his paint went tumbling down. That sent him over the edge.

Fifteen minutes later, Louis walked in, finding the omega in tears on the floor. He bent down in front of Harry and talked him through it, quietly helping him stand up and clean all the paint. Eventually, Harry found the shade of purple he was looking for, and the painting was complete. Louis not only helped Harry calm down, but he encouraged him, told him to trust the process, and was always so understanding. He was perfect.

That night was actually the night Harry gave his first kiss to Louis. Swept up in all of his emotions and filled with gratitude and sudden love for the alpha, he leaned over and pressed his dry, inexperienced lips against Louis'. At first, Louis froze, taken aback by Harry's gesture, but then he kissed Harry back, soft yet eager. They both pulled away after a few moments, red in the cheeks and smiling, as they created distance between each other. They still weren't married and it would be inappropriate if someone found them in that position.

From that point on, Harry wasn't as resistant to Louis' charms, and he allowed the alpha to take his hand at soirees and balls, and fill his dance card with just his name. He looked forward to seeing him and talking with him. So much so that when their families told them to move forward with the wedding, Harry agreed. He hadn't received an acceptance letter from the art school, but he couldn't hold out hope any longer.

Time was ticking.

Harry was sweaty and out of breath by the time he made it back to his house. He barely answered any of the footmen or maids as he went up to his room and shut the door behind him, falling onto his bed and curling into a ball while sobbing into his hands. He should have never gone to the party. He should have just stayed home. Ignorance was bliss, right? But then he'd never know that Louis was newly engaged. He'd have to find out from gossipy members of the ton, whispered during balls or teatime. He wasn't sure if it'd hurt more to hear it that way or directly from Louis.