Game day

"You can't wear that monica"

I let out a sigh rolling my eyes as Francine continues to rummage through her clothes for something she deems worthy for me to wear.

"You can do better than that",she comes to stare at me in the mirror gesturing at the jeans with a t-shirt I'd chosen to wear with my trusty converse.

"Like what franny?,what else can I wear ?".

She smiles and pulls something from behind her back,it's a Jean skirt with a white tank top,throwing it at me she goes to my jewelry box and pull out a necklace and earrings.

"There...a full outfit,now hurry and change the game will be starting soon".

I don't bother arguing as I go to change into the outfit which Is not that bad actually but of course I won't admit that to her.

-----

The game goes well with our team winning,carlos as usual is the star of the show,I smile to myself watching him hit a home run.

Francine jumps up and down in excitement screaming her head off breaking my dazed smiling.

"He's winning Monica!He's winning!".

She grabs my arm squeezing in excitement.

I knod,"Yeah, the whole team is", I say.

A cool breeze blows and I pull my jacket tighter around me,glad I brought it since I'm wearing this tank top.

When the game ends franny of course wants to go to the after party which we argue over in the school parking lot until we notice the team leaving the building headed our way,which makes franny perk up of course.

I spot carlos walking with a group of his teammates most of which are some of his closest friends.

And Francine does too as she starts calling him over,jumping up and down waving her arms and I wonder as I watch her If she notices the odd looks the guys give her and their barely contained laughter.

Carlos shoves one of them when he says something that makes the guys laugh hard,they quiet down as they near.

Carlos gives us a knod in greeting,his eyes lingering on me.

Francine smiles big,

"Hey carlos,are you headed to the party?".

He clears his throat,focusing on Francine

"Ah..no, I'm not",he shifts and rolls his eyes when his friends start to complain after hearing his words.

"Come on man!".

"What do you mean carlos?".

"We won man,you've gotta come out".

They say

Francines smile drops,

"oh..,that's too bad...",she mumbles.

Carlos gives some high-fives to his friends saying goodbye and walks away without another word.

I watch him get in his jeep,he starts the jeep rolling the windows down and I am startled when he looks my way,catching me staring.

I look away but hear him pull out of the parking lot,I'm startled again when Francine gives me a shake.

"Helloo,earth to Monika, are you listening ?".

"Sorry,what did you say?",I ask trying to focus on her.

The rest of the guys have wandered away to their girlfriends or cars to ride together to the after party.

She rolls her eyes," I asked if you wanted to come over to spend the night?".