The bonfire

We arrive at the beach and Francine wastes no time going in search of our fellow seniors,I trail behind her wearing a jean jumpsuit over my orange one piece bathing suit, I still had to have on my black and white converse though to Francine's horror.

"Come on monica! We're missing stuff".

I roll my eyes," no, actually we're not",I say but I run to catch up with her,not wanting to be a party pooper.

We finally come across some familiar faces and find the bonfire just as it's getting darker.

I watch as Francines eyes scour the beach in search of carlos,making me shake my head I step into her line of sight,

"If you pant after him anymore you'll be drooling".

She straightens,"what? I wasn't!".

I smile,"come on,lets go get in the water,we are at the beach you know".

She nods chuckling,"okay fine,..then I'll look like a real beach babe anyway".

I purse my lips holding back a laugh as she runs to the water giggling,I follow removing my overalls and shoes placing them to the side.

I dive in the water before coming up to splash franny who shrieks,"no you didn't!",she yells,before attempting to splash me back.

We do that for a while before our water fight comes to a end when someone yells from the shore,

"Hey! Hotdogs and S'mores come and get it!".

We run back in as everyone starts to crowd around the bonfire grabbing their food.

Grabbing our s'mores ingredients and hotdogs we find a spot too and sit to eat,well at least I do,Francine forgets about her food when she spots carlos sitting across from us,

"There he is",she gasps in a whisper.

I knod distractedly watching my roasting marshmallow.

"Let's go say hi,Monica".

I glance over at carlos and his group of friends that look so rowdy as they laugh and play around,I look back at my food disinterested,

"He seems busy franny,and so am I".

She sighs,"come on,you know he's the reason I came here monica".

I glance at her,"oh really?,the only reason?",I smirk teasing her.

She pauses her eyes going a little wide,"um...well and to hang out together ".

I roll my eyes,"right".

She pulls on my arm,"please ! Let's just say hi.

I sigh,"fine,lets go".

We walk over to carlos and his friends and I stand and watch as franny squats to say hi,

"Hey carlos",she says from behind him.

carlos turns around to see who's speaking to him,

"Hey...",he says.

Franny smiles,"nice party huh?".

He knods," yeah...I guess".

I roll my eyes what a deep conversation,I look over longingly to my spot at the other side of the fire.

"Oh,this is my friend monica",My attention goes back to franny at the sound of my name.

Carlos knods to me,"Hi monica",he glances down at my converse clad feet and smiles briefly,"...nice shoes".

I glance down at my feet,shrugging I say,"thanks".

He knods

Franny taps his arm,"if you have nothing to do later,we were going to go for a walk on the beach, I heard there's going to be fireworks and we'll find the best view,you interested?".