Brave

The next morning I sleep in and don't come out of my bedroom til I hear my mom Calling me from the living room.

Normally we relax during the weekends and I'm independent so any chores I have around the apartment I manage myself,so mom doesn't bother me really unless it's to do something fun together if she doesn't have to work during the weekend.

So with that in mind I happily walk out to the living room, though groggy, to see what's up.

And for the first time in the history of being at home, I regret wearing my comfy sleep shorts that show alot of leg and a too large t-shirt,with a silk hair bonnet on my head, because in my living room stands my mother... and Carlos.

-----

I watch as carlos's eyes scan me from top to bottom,he smiles when his eyes meet mine

"Goodmorning Monika".

I glance from him to my mom,what is he doing here?

"Um..Goodmorning ".

My mom watches us and clears her throat

"Monika,carlos has asked me if he can invite you to his birthday party".

I widen my eyes at carlos,

"He did?", I ask.

Carlos gives another small smile but this one looks very mischievous to me.

My mom Knods

"Yes, he did"

She looks over at carlos again to confirm,he knods his head,

"Yes,ma'am".

She knods and continues her questioning,

"And you know him from school?", she looks to me waiting on my reply.

I knod,"yes..".

She glances between us

"Well, you seem like a nice young man and since you respectfully asked my permission first and came to introduce yourself ,...I'll allow it".

I gawk at my mom in surprise,what did she just say ?

She looks back at me,"And Francine will be with you right?".

My heart beats like crazy in my chest at the mention of Francine,

"...yeah,and we'll drive there together..".

She knods,"good,I will need his parents info in case of emergency and keep your phone on you, text me when you arrive and before you go to sleep."

She pauses thinking of what else she wants to know I guess,

" and when will you be coming back?",she asks.

"Um...,Sunday night".

She knods studying me a moment,

"okay then,well your turning eighteen soon,and going off to college next fall,so this will give me some practice for that I guess".

I blink at her,wow, I wasn't expecting this at all,she's really going to let me go.

"I have to finish getting ready for my shift but you two have fun today and Monika I won't be here in time for dinner,so go ahead and eat what you can find,without me".

She goes back into her room, her mind already on something else as she looks at her phone.

I look back to carlos who stands there with his hands in his pockets but he's not looking at me he's too busy looking around my apartment,his eyes roaming from the family pictures on the living room stand, to my room behind me, then finally on me.