Hanging out

So we end up at his jeep in the school parking lot in front of the entire student body, great idea monica,this won't backfire at all.

He takes my backpack putting it in the backseat and away we go.

The ride is a quiet one with only the wind from all of the windows being down and low music being heard,but I do become overcome with curiosity when we drive further and further away from town and there's fewer houses,I look over at him as he stares a the road silently,

"Umm I didn't know this was a road trip...,I have school tomorrow,we both do".

He smiles," Don't worry,you won't miss school".

And that's it,that's all he says.

I roll my eyes sitting back in the seat.

We finally come to a stop when he turns off the main road,down a drive that leads to an open field and I look around curiously looking for the cause of this destination,as he gets out of the jeep.

I follow after a moment but only go as far as the passenger door,the sun's gone down giving way to night,I stand there in bewilderment.

"What are we doing here?",I ask

He knods up to the sky,"looking at that",he jumps onto the hood of his jeep holding a bag of something.

I glance up at the sky from my place I remain standing at,to see a sky full of stars.

I go to sit next to him climbing onto the jeep hood as well.

He pulls some snacks out of the bag he holds, handing me a candy bar ,

"You like chocolate ?"

I knod,"yeah and I feel sorry for the person who doesn't",I say.

grabbing the bar from him I say a quick thanks focusing on getting the candy bar open.

He knods, biting into his own candy,he lays back on the jeep looking up at the stars.

I copy him doing the same after taking a bite of my bar.

And we lay like that in silence,I focus on the vastness of the night sky knowing better than to try and count the stars I see.

But our silence doesn't last long because his phone rings interrupting our quiet oasis.

I glance over at him and surprisingly he simply silences it without answering or even checking who's calling.

I look back at the sky and say ,"you can get that,I don't mind.",thinking maybe he was being overly polite .

But he says nothing just looks at the sky,then says,"yeah,well I do".

I frown in confusion,what's that suppose to mean? He doesn't like taking calls while stargazing ?

I try to relax but something keeps eating at me and I know what it is,my bestfriend.

Sitting up abruptly, I turn to him and say,"my best friend really likes you".

He stares at me intently for a beat then asks," And what about you?"

I freeze,what?

"Umm,your okay...I guess...",I say

He raises an eyebrow,smirking,"right.",he says, in a way that means he definitely thinks I'm not being completely honest.

This is so awkward

"Look.. my point is, my friend should be sitting here with you right now since she's been trying to get to know you".