CHAPTER 1: LIFE

"Driving to work while listening and jamming to music with the vibe that you have is surely heaven," Lakisha said while stuck in traffic and listening to her favorite song, Stay by BLACKPINK. She didn't mind the other drivers who were pissed because of their slow moves.

Not long ago, she arrived at the hospital, where her rotation will start.

Lakisha is in her last year of medical school together with her friends Mertel, Alina, and Sandra. Mertel and Lakisha are the oldest among them. They have different characteristics. Mertel is like the mother of the group. Lakisha is the one who has a mature mindset. The group's two youngest members are the energy producers.All of them have a special connection with music.

After Lakisha went inside the hospital, "EMERGENCY, GET READY; A PATIENT WILL BE HERE IN FIVE MINUTES TO HELP THEM," said the attending doctor. "Now this is where my life starts: by saving lives and giving them a chance to see the world longer." She thought

After 5 hours, they all have a short break, and the four of us get to talk about the past.

"Actually, I never got to imagine that I would be here in the hospital, saving lives." Martel said. 

"Me too; I feel like we were just high school students hanging out and always ranting about how to finish our projects and pendings." Sandra replied.

"I totally agree. I remember the times where we just stood and got teary-eyed when we didn't know how to answer the question and the feeling every card revealed. " Alina said while laughing.

I was also quietly reminiscing about our moments when Mertel suddenly noticed it. "Hey, Lakisha, you seem a bit quiet. Mind to share what's on your mind?"

"Oh, it's just that I suddenly have a flashback of our high school life, but you know what? I realize that we never got to appreciate the present until it just became memories, and I wish we had captured that, but maybe the camera cannot handle the exact beautiful moments, which is why they should be remembered in our minds." I said

"What do you think will happen if we don't pursue med school?" I randomly asked

"For me, I actually don't know because since then I really want to pursue being a doctor, but now that I think of it, maybe it will be connected to music since I enjoy instruments and I can express my feelings through lyrics." I answered

It's normal for us to have these random thought talks; it is also a way for us to get to know each other better, and it also helps us realize the things that were stuck in our minds.

"I think I will be helping with our company. I'm sure that's what my dad wants if I don't pursue this; luckily, my family is not the same as in the movies, where they oppose their children's dreams. If that happens to me, naah, I probably cannot handle that." Mertel answered

I suddenly remembered my family. "How are they? What are they doing right now? Are they happy?" My thoughts were cut off when my phone rang. It was the attending doctor, and I had to assist a new patient.

"Gotta go guys, bye, see you later. Another day, another patient to save."

The patient is a 5-year-old kid with a brain tumor. I was assigned to assist them, and I also got the chance to spend some time with the kid. To be honest, I was shocked at how brave she is because she even encourages her parents that everything will be fine and they will conquer the situation. I also couldn't help but feel bitter because of how sweet and strong the bond of their family is; even if they have a problem, they choose to stick together no matter how hard it is.

Never in my life have I stopped thinking about my family, and a lot of what-ifs cross my mind on a daily basis. Of course I miss them; it's been 21 years since I last bonded with them.

But still, the most important thing on my mind right now is the present, so I called my sister, Liana. I think their class just ended, and I want to spend time with her.

"Liana, are you done with your classes? Want to grab some food?" I asked

"Yes, I'm done. Sure, no worries. I also need a break. I'm too tired," she answered.

"Do you want me to pick you up?" I asked

"No need; I also have someplace to go before the hospital," she answered.

"Oh, okay, just go straight to my room when you arrive here. Bye, take care," I said and ended the phone call.

I went to my room, where I found Mertel and Sandra, who were talking about the VIP patients that will visit tomorrow. After I sat at the door, suddenly Open and Alina came in, smiling widely.

"Wow, you looked happy. What happened? Any news?" I asked

"Ow, yes, I heard that now they will be choosing the medical students that will help attend the VIP patients. I hope we can all be picked by the way they will announce it tomorrow." Alina said

"What great news indeed! If we all get picked, this will be our first patient together." Sandra said

A little later, Liana arrived and lazily flapped herself into the chair. Looking at her, she was stressed and badly needed to sleep.

I just decided to order some food and then go home. The patients are also not a lot, which is why the attending doctor told us that we could go home early.

I woke up early feeling excited because of the news that Alina told us yesterday. After I got ready, I drove to the hospital.

A little later, they announced the med students that would be attending the VIP patients, and unexpectedly, it was the four of us: Me, Mertel, Alina, and Sandra. They said that later they would give us the information we needed about the patients.

At 10 a.m., the four of us were in a room because of a short break, and then someone suddenly knocked and gave us information about the patients. I don't know, but suddenly I felt nervous, not wanting to open the papers.

After I opened and read the top of it, I was shocked because it is the famous group Manatili, which consists of four members: Jamilla, Cerine, Audrey, and Lei. After I read the name of the last member, my brain suddenly couldn't function.

Lei, Leickel's stage name, will be my patient.

I actually panicked because I didn't know how I should act in front of her, my older sister. 16 years passed and this will be the first time I'm able to be near her and get the chance to talk to her.