CHAPTER 9: BONDING

I'm feeling really grateful because we are complete again, but at some point I can't stop being nervous because what if this happiness is just temporary? Do I deserve all of this? Those are some of the things that linger in my mind.

To be honest, I'm scared of the future because every time that I feel happy, there is always a consequence waiting for me, like happiness was just consoling me because of what will come.

"Hurry up Lakisha, I'm excited to see the place" Laina said that helped me to get out of my thoughts.

We are going to an outdoor beach to celebrate Laina's birthday. It's been 3 months since our family became complete again. Until now it feels unreal that we will celebrate important events together.

I am the one driving because I am the only one who knows where we are going. I said that the place will be a secret, the only thing that they knew is that it is a beach.

I can see from the rear view mirror that they were all vibing to music energetically, which made me smile and soften my heart.

We arrived at the place safe and sound. The moment they got out of the car, all of them were amazed at the place and excitedly explored it. I already organized everything, and the only thing that they needed to do was enjoy themselves.

We ate, swam, took pictures, and celebrated Liana's birthday all day, to the point that everyone is so tired. I only get two rooms, one for our parents and one for us. In our room, we decided to have a drink and talk about everything, including the embarrassing moments that we had. We laugh, cry, and go crazy all together before we decided to go to sleep.

The sound of the monitors was heard all over the place, that helped me wake up. I opened my eyes because of the unfamiliar place where I am, the ceiling was white, and there were some things put on me. I was too confused to digest everything when Mertel, Sandra, and Alina entered the room. When they saw me awake, relief was evident in their faces. I was really confused but then all of this is familiar to me: the room, the bed, the machines, and everything. I was inside the hospital where  I'm studying.

"Where are Liana, Lei, Mom and Dad?" I ask because I don't know how I ended up here, but I just wanna know where my family is.

I looked at them, and suddenly they started to avoid my gaze, and they became somehow uncomfortable.

"Why can't you look at me directly? What happened? Where are they? I wanted to see them, please..." I said I was sounding so desperate. I don't know, but I am feeling really really nervous and scared of what they will reply to me with.

Right after I said that, Dr. Solace arrived, started to ask questions on what I remembered, and started observing me.

"Doctor, where's my family? I was asking them about it, but they are just avoiding my question" I said

"I think it's time to let Lakisha know, I'll get going now, and your friends will explain everything" Dr. Solace said that made me confused

"Hm... I know you're wondering what happened and how you suddenly appeared here. Do you remember Liana's birthday when you were going to the beach?" Sandra started

"Yes, I was the one driving the car. Why did you ask, though?" I replied

"Because on the way, you get hit by a massive truck that loses its break." Alina said

"Huh? But we arrived safely at the beach, we were really amazed by its beauty and enjoyed our time together." I said that, and they put their brows together and got back when they realized something.

"Maybe your brain continues the adventure for you to remember." Mertel said

"But where are they?" I ask because I badly want to see them now.

"Look, Lakisha, the accident caused you to have a coma, and it's been 4 months since the accident." She said that, and her eyes became teary.

"Your Mom, Dad, and sister Lei were declared dead after arriving at the hospital." Alina said

When I heard those, my heart suddenly stopped and felt heavy. But I also need to know what happened to Liana, so I ask.

"How about Liana?" I said it in almost a whisper because I couldn't take it anymore.

"Liana has been declared brain dead. There is still a machine that supports her, she is in the ICU for 4 months now-" Mertel said, but I cut her off; I cannot really take it anymore.

"Please bring me to the ICU" I said, and they luckily agreed.

After I entered the room, tears started pooling in my face. This is also the first time that I have cried. It's really heavy, to the point that I can't even know if I am breathing or not.

"Hi, how are you? Sorry if my visit was little late. Please stay, please stay with me" I tried so hard to make my voice tough for her.

"Lakisha misses you already; how do we make our promises now? Our future adventure?" I still manage not to stutter

"My Attorney, Liana Monroe... I love you"
This is the first time that I've said those words.

Right after I said that, I heard the sound that will make me lose my life.

BEEEEEEEEEEEP
As I looked at the Vital Sign Machine, it already became a straight line.

Doctors started to arrived, and I'm here still frozen and don't want to believe what is happening. This can't be... Liana will stay with me right?

"Time of Death: July 14, 2023, 1:43am"