BORDER CROSSING

FENRIS POV

"Is everyone ready? We've a long march ahead" Chrom asked all of us.

"W-wait for me!" I heard someone yell out from behind all of us.

"Stahl?" Crom questioned confused to see him.

"Why am I the last to hear about this expedition to Ferox?" Stahl asked.

"Huh? Vaike was supposed to....Vaike! Did you forget to tell Stahl about our mission?" Lissa scolded.

"The Vaike never forgets!.... I just don't always remember is all..." Vaike said with a bead of sweat running down his face.

"Really setting the standard high aren't you Vaike" I mumbled under my breath.

"Oh I'm sorry, this is Stahl, one of our finest" Chrom explained to me and Robin.

"Hello you two, Miriel told me we had new Shepards, er Miriel is one of our mages, she should catch up"

------

We had started making our way through the grassy planes. It was a long voyage, but it was a welcoming one. We had come across a few Risen (the new name for those walking corpses) on our journey. But no matter what this land threw at us.

We would weather the storm.

"Fenris, are you sure you couldn't have gotten some armor at the Garrison before you left? I mean, you're not even wearing a shirt" Lissa spoke up, a little bit worried about my health since we would be entering colder territory.

"I appreciate your concern Lissa. But in my homeland, it is said that a Norsaromian's death is chosen by fate. So what use do I have of armor, or of fear"

"It sounds like you came from a rather brutish nation" Frederick remarked.

"Frederick, you could at least try to be a bit culturally sensitive. Especially since the culture and nation he halls from is no longer here" Chrom said trying to defend me.

"No Chrom, Frederick is correct. My homeland, as beautiful as it could be, was very unforgiving for the weak. And the chips on our shoulders had grown significantly because of it"

"I see plenty of similarities between your home and mine, at least in more subtle ways. If you were raised in a different home Chrom, I imagine you would have made a great Skiijord"

"What is a Skiijord exactly? Is it some sort of rank?" Crom asked confused.

"It's the most prestigious rank someone in Norsarom can be given" I explained.

"My people were very much a warrior people, breed to survive any environment. But the chosen elite were given both a burden, and a name. The Skiijord, or in your native tongue, the Shieldborn.

"They were as strong as a battering ram, and as resilient as a fortress gate. To be a Skiijord meant service to all who needed it, for life, until death. They were the shield of our people. And they did not falter"

"I am flattered you would look at me in such high regard Fenris, but I think you overestimate me" Chrom said humbly.

"Your job is no different then what the Skiijord had to do. But if you think that I am overestimated you, then let's put that up to public opinion"

"If you think I have overestimated Chrom and his abilities, please raise your right hand" I looked and told this to all the Shepards here, but I didn't see a single hand go up"

"You see Chrom. We don't follow you because you are royalty, I certainly don't. We follow you, because we believe in you, and no other reason"

"I.... thank you" Chrom said stuttering with pride before patting me on the back as we marched on.