Chapter 9

I spent some time with Lauren, talking mostly about Zayn and how we can get rid of him and his creepiness. I nod politely and she thinks she convinced me.

I'm still going out with him.

"ohhhhh," I check my watch and it's already 5pm. You never feel time passing when you're with your loved ones.

"What?" Lauren asks in confusion.

"Nothing, my mum doesn't know I left" I grab my bag from the ground. "I should leave before she comes back from work." I stand up and so does Lauren. 

I give her one last hug as we're standing at the door step. Squeezing her hard again. 

"Take care." I say as I stepped outside. She nods.

I tie my scarf around my neck as my eyes searched for his black car. He was nowhere to be found. I sigh, where is he when I need him. I hide my hands in my jacket's pockets, trying to keep the warmness in. I start walking into my house direction. 

My mum's car was already there before me. I curse under my breath and I know I'm about to get a lecture about how I should always let her know where I am and where I'm going. I open the front door and walked fast upstairs trying to avoid her. it doesn't work anyway.

"Sach!" I hear her voice call from her bedroom. I walk in to see her clothes thrown everywhere. On the bed, on the floor, on the table, but mostly on top of a big suitcase on her big bed. 

Her face stretch into a smile when she sees me. And I feel slightly confused and uncomfortable. 

"Oh, Sach. You won't believe what happened today!" she says enthusiastically as she spin around the room. I blink few times.

"What?" I say trying –and failing- to keep up with her screams of joy.

"I'm going I'm going I'm going!" she jumps closer and I wonder how it's physically possible for a woman her age to jump like this. 

"Where are you going, mum?!" I scream as well just to be heard. And for a second I was truly afraid she was leaving.

Like my dad.

"I'M GOING TO BRAZIL!" she finally clarifies

I finally understand and it's finally hits me. "NO WAY!" I scream. Almost as loud as she was. She screams louder again. No I was wrong.

"THIS IS SO EXCITING I CAN'T BELIEVE IT'S ACTUALLY HAPPENEING SACH. I AM SO HAPPY!" she hugs me and I can feel the thrill in her old vines. I hug back.

She pulls me by the hand to the bed. She sits and I sit next to her. as our knees touched and her hand was on top of mine, she took a sharp breath, getting calm.

"I've been waiting for this trip for almost three months. And it's going to have so much effect on my career and it is so important." She smiles her goofy smile. She looks so young and live. I'm not used to that.

"but you don't even speak Portuguese," I say. Secretly hoping the airplane would crash minutes before she leaves for the airport. I didn't want her to leave. Not now, not in this time, not in this situation.

"a translator will be flying with us, Sach. Don't be ridiculous" she gets up to shove the rest of the mess into her suitcase. Ignoring me.

"How long are you staying?" 

"A week." She shoots me a wide smile. " My flight departs at 7am."

"Tomorrow?" I ask.

She nods.

I swing my legs back and forth. Thinking of any possible excuse to make her stay. There is none.

"And you're gonna fly all alone? Like part from your work team and your busy paper work, Wouldn't you get lonely?" I point out, like it's an argument I can win.

"darling," she kneels in front of me. Grabbing my hand in both of her shaky old hands. "I'll miss you but I can't not go." 

I look down. "I'm gonna miss you, too" I mumble.

She gets up on her tiny feet again, spinning the room and reaching for more clothes to shove into her suitcase. I watch her silently. Thinking about the morning and how terrified I was after she left for hours. 

"Mum," 

"hmmm" she sings.

"I have a date tonight."