Chapter 8: Dagger

The Queen closed her eyes before letting out an exasperated sigh. It wasn't as much of a shock to her as compared to Natalia. The poor girl jolted right up and instantly set some distance between them. Her face was red and she tried to compose herself by wiping her lips with a handkerchief.

Yesenia brushed her dress a bit and returned to her cross-legged pose.

"Come in." Yesenia said in a slight annoyed tone.

The door flew open and in came her trusted chief. She had a neutral look on her face, a bit determined as she was carrying out her usual morning duties before the hustle of the day began. Upon looking at Natalia, her face turned into a scowl.

"My Queen. I have your schedule for today." Joan came towards her Queen and bowed respectfully. When she stood, she side-eyed the mortal woman.

"Thank you Joan. What are my duties for today?" The Queen took a sip of her drink before sitting back in her chair as Joan began to read out loud.

"First thing after breakfast, you are to head to the library and the learning commons. Many of the youngsters have been practising their scripts for the upcoming play and they wanted you to watch. Next we are heading to the forgery and metallurgy workshop. They have patented a new archer bow and hunting knife and they would like your approval before constructing it for the island. Then we have lunch at the pavilion. From there, we have the Council meeting discussing island maintenance and construction. That's the last thing for today. You are free after the meeting."

Yesenia mentally counted in her head how long she would have to spend at each location today. She nodded along when Joan announced her schedule.

"Very good. Thank you, Joan. I appreciate your hard work. You are free to leave."

"But what about her?" Joan seemed to be very disturbed by even the slightest chance that Natalia would remain unsupervised.

"Yes, what's your inquiry?" The Queen knew Joan's worry but she found it amusing.

"What is Natalia to do all day? She can't simply sit around and twiddle her thumbs." Joan gritted her teeth when she had to say Natalia's name.

"Well. Since you're so worrisome I suggest that Natalia stick with you during your duties today." The Queen took another sip of her drink.

Both Natalia and Joan froze. They didn't want anything to do with each other. Natalia didn't want to spend the day with her, having to see her scowling face and constant nagging about random things.

Joan opened her mouth to protest but she knew better than to talk back and oppose the Queen. "My Lady, I am going to be at the combat area for most of the day. I have to lead lessons there today."

"Then I suppose Natalia can learn how to wield a sword or knife today, you can get her situated." The Queen finished her drink and stood up. Natalia stood up as well right after her, not wanting to be disrespectful.

"Send a messenger if anything goes awry, Joan, otherwise I think you can handle it." The Queen looked at her loyal friend with pity and humour, knowing that Joan would agree a hundred times to do the most laborious work on the island before she ever agreed to spend the day with Natalia. What her quarrel was with Natalia, she didn't know but she knew Joan took time to open up to people. It was only a matter of time.

Both Natalia and Joan stood and bowed before watching the Queen leave. Joan wasted no time berating the mortal woman.

"Now listen little girl, I don't want any -." Joan began.

"I don't know why you insist on calling me a little girl and I quite frankly don't understand why you are so cross with me." Natalia cut her off and stood up for herself.