Chapter 7 : New friend

"Hailey you're ready" Alice's voice was calling me downstairs, today was my first day in my new school. I know that they didn't like it here to call it a school, education was the right word for them.

"Yes!" I shouted, almost running through the staircase, as Aidan did make me late. I had to shower to forget about him.

Raymond was waiting for me at the front door, speaking with Alice, probably about my day. He was supposed to start my education. I greeted my aunt before we go.

"So where do we start." I was excited to learn more and maybe make new friends. In the human world, I didn't have any, except Lisa.

"I wanted to make you a tour of Halloween, but maybe I can show you, where you'll learn everything." Raymond seemed nicer than yesterday, I guessed that me, lying to the council helped him realize that I was not a bad person.

"Sure. And where are all the others." I did wonder where the young witches did learn about magic. But Alice wouldn't tell me, as she wanted me to discover Halloween by myself, in my own time. Maybe she wanted me to absorb all the knowledge one step at a time, without freaking out.

"At the cemetery." I looked at Raymond surprised, I didn't expect to meet other young witches at such a place.

"Cemetery," I repeated, giggling. That was weird. But I knew it was not the human world, they had different ways here.

"I know, it's different from the human. But I will rather spend two hours at the cemetery than be locked up, all day, in one of those human schools." I laughed, it's true that high school, or any school, was boring. Of course, we had some knowledge in these long lessons. But we were only closing ourselves into smaller prisons. Not seeing the outside of our world.

"You're right" We continued walking on the road, at first it was unusual to walk in the middle of it, but no car we're in Halloween. Besides, it was just a pavement road, so any car couldn't drive on it.

"Who's that" As we were leaving all the houses behind us, I could see a big statue. It was a woman held by a man.

"Meet our founders, Rosa Smith, and Jon Galpin." The statue was made of bronze, it was old and dusty.

"Aren't supposed to be several." The council was made up of four members, and seeing only two founders made me question that.

"Yes, but they are the ones who created our gate to Halloween Town." We continued walking until we reached a steel fence. It was surrounding the cemetery area. In my mind, I thought that the cemetery was scary, like the house where I met with the council. But it was not, it was a big prairie, with a church in its center. Some teenagers were already waiting outside, close to the church.

Raymond made me walk near them, entering the graveyard. As soon as we arrived I could see everyone staring and not in a good way. I didn't like that. It seemed that I was not welcome here.

Raymond made a sign to me, to wait behind all the students as he walked forward to the only adult present here. I guessed he was the teacher; he seemed to speak with some other student. I don't know what they were telling each other. But suddenly no noise we're coming from all the teenagers. Raymond was still near that teacher, as I was alone.

"So everybody, I'd like you to meet Hailey Ryan. She'll be joining you very soon. " I had another round of staring faces. But fortunately, it stopped when their teacher opened the gate of the church, and the crowd of teenagers started to walk inside.

"I'll come back for you at lunch." Raymond was now back closer to me, I nodded, letting him go away. I hoped that this class would be nice.

I followed all the students, still behind everybody. It was an old church made out of big white stone. Weirdly, inside it was pretty warm. I guess witches were using magic in here too. I sat in the corner, with no one around me, I was not sad about it, maybe they were troubled by a newcomer.