Chapter 29: Mercy

We left the tent, Rhys and Feyre immediately going to work, preparing to spin the glamour. Azriel disappeared, likely going to the location we were about to move to, being the scout he is.

Cassian began ordering soldiers, telling them to group equipment, pull together resources, and prepare for immediate departure.

I vanished into the medical tent, gathering supplies, packing sick beds, and storing them in the magic containers Rhys had ordered for medical transport. They were bigger on the inside, allowing vast amounts of storage in little areas, and lightweight.

My work was quick, ensuring every piece of equipment we had was put in a container, and taken to an Illyrian to be put in the next tent. I darted between the three medical areas, preparing to set up the same routine at the new location.

After my responsibility was complete, I packed my own tent, making sure every weapon and salve jar I owned was tucked in one of my two bags from the palace. As I shifted and sorted, my hand came across a small piece of paper in the bottom of the smaller bag.

I pulled it out gently, and unfolded it.

Go save the world, my little Allyfrun. I'll see you when you return victorious.
All my love, Marlia.

Tears welled in my eyes, enough to roll down my cheeks slightly. I wiped them away viciously, folded the paper back, and placed it in the same place I found it. 

For Marlia, I thought as I packed everything up, found an Illyrian to give it to, and moved to the next tent.

For Marlia, I whispered aloud as I prepared to fly with my brethren, knowing full well I wasn't ready. 

For Marlia, I said, taking to the skies with a load on my back, and following Cassian's orders, stumbling and lagging as I went.

For Marlia.

* * *

The world was nearly dark when we landed. I'd had many stumbles, falls, and had to take a couple breaks as we flew due to my inability. When the wing blew harshly, I went with it. If the sun was too bright in one area, it blinded me until I could get to the other side.

Though, I'll admit, flying through a wide open area was much better than the forest I was training in. Not near as much for me to soar into.

I immediately began constructing the medical tents, keeping a wary eye on Hybern's settling camp. Something wasn't right. As much as it pained me to acknowledge it, they were smarter than this.

It had to be fake.

And it was.

After Rhysand unveiled our army, slightly depleted, but prepared to fight, Hybern released theirs. Just as ours was a ruse, so was theirs.

Rhysand and Cassian began yelling, forcing soldiers in line, getting Illyrians in the skies. Breathing nervously, I strapped up my gear, and walked to the lines to join.

Azriel winnowed in front of me, fear in his eyes. "You can't, Aelfrun," he said, sweat already pouring down his face.

"Azriel, I have to fight," I replied, my tone one of hurt.

He shook his head again, placing a hand on my shoulder. "A lot of us aren't going to make it out this time. You can't be one of them. You're not ready just yet."

"I flew all the way here with swords and gear and everything else!"

Azriel nodded, glancing behind him where Rhys was howling for his presence at the front lines. "I know. But stay here." He paused, then forced out, "Please."