Chapter 14: Human

I stood in the war room, gaping. Shock was running through me, the smell of my own hormones dancing around, blinding my senses.

Numbly, I extinguished the candles, then left the room. My body was acting out of habit, no mind in control. I was having an internal meltdown.

I walked into my room, staring at the floor, counting the sworls on the wood.

Both of my parents were human, entirely. There is no way I could be anything other than.

But the senses, the smells. Fighting and endurance.

No. No.

Because if I'm not human, then everything changes.

Does it?

Of course it does.

How so? How is it any different than the way we've been living for nearly three weeks?

I am miserable.

Are you?

The King's voice ricocheted around my head, screaming at while caressing me. He was.. soft. Gentle. Not the mass murderer I believed him to be. But then, he was a liberator. Or at least, as I've been told.

My cheeks went slightly pink at the thought of the kiss. 

Of course, not my first kiss, but the only one I've somewhat enjoyed. 

He doesn't care about you. He said it himself, you're his informant. Information.

That's all you are. A weapon.

I looked at myself in the mirror, my light eyes. Directly into them, for the first time in a long time. Much longer than a few weeks.

I examined the bruises, looked at my newfound muscles, strength and agility.

How I did seem a little.. taller now. And my back was different. Oddly muscular.

Out of the reflection, I saw the black crown. The one he gave me.

Turning around, I walked to it, and placed it gently on my head. Turning back to the mirror, and staring at it from across the room, I realized it matched the one he wore.

Are you?

Every fiber of my being stood on edge, screaming at me to use sense, think. 

ARE YOU?

No.

Not human.

Then what am I?