Interlude: "Love Will Tear Us Apart"

Not long anymore and Tom and Jules would spend time together again, and both were looking forward to being reunited and enjoying their little adventure. Everyone around him had noticed by now that there was more to Jules and him than he had let on earlier. He was in a particularly good mood, almost intoxicated from the high of the prospect to finally confess his love to Jules – and kiss her again.

David M showed up again, unannounced. "So, Tom, that potential girlfriend of yours ...?"
Tom clenched his jaw. "I've already told you to leave Jules alone."
"You did, yes, but she will need to be cleared."
Tom didn't like the way this conversation went in the slightest. "Look, I know you're concerned since she's not a Scientologist."
"Exactly. What do you know about her burnout? Did she seek therapy? That alone makes her an SP."
"Stop calling her that, David. She's a wonderful being, whom I dearly love."
David looked him dead in the eyes: "She isn't clear. You need to ..."
"The only thing I *need* is to be with her."
"You need someone to audit her. Or at least suggest Dianetics to her as an alternative to her treatment."
Tom blinked rapidly. "Come again?"
"You understood me very well. She's a danger to you, your well-being, the church."
Tom massaged his temples. This was getting out of hand, and he didn't like it one single bit. "I cannot believe you are asking me that." He swallowed hard and clenched his jaw again.
"I am asking you to test her. Not to pick a side."
Tom shook his head. "No. You are asking me to stab her in the back."
"I am having someone stop by to brief you on this and you will act accordingly", David declared, his tone leaving no room for "ifs" or "buts".
Tom's eyes filled with tears. "I ... Don't make me do that!" he pleaded. "Don't ask me to betray and hurt her."
"I'm not asking you, Tom", he pressured.

 Tom hated the fact that he was being emotionally blackmailed. Either, he would betray his entire belief system and the thirty plus years it had been the core of his being. Or he'd betray the one he loved more than anything.

The only one who'd lose everything was him.

"You cry out in your sleep,
All my failings exposed
And there's a taste in my mouth
As desperation takes hold
Just that something so good
Just can't function no more"