Chapter Seventeen

Soul is the strangest monster that any of the bad guys have ever seen. He looks like someone went to a thrift store and sewed a dozen different parts together.

Soul has the average height and build for a Sans, but that is where logic ends. His feet are bare, showcasing his sharpened toes. A long and flexible tail hangs down off his spine and curls at his feet. Soul's right ankle is adorned with a thick braid of colorful thread. The matching bracelet in on his left wrist. Soul wears a pair of faded blue shorts that might have once been sweat pants. The shorts are partially covered by the baggy hoodie that he wears. The hoodie is a pastel green with a black bird on the front. The right sleeve has been cut off.

Dark crimson vines coved in thorns wrap themselves around Soul's bare arm, getting tangled up and ending in his wrist. It looks painful. Soul wear fingerless gloves on both hands. One is brown while the other is black. All of his blunt fingers are tipped in a gray color at the last phalange. On top of the hoodie, wrapped around his waist, Soul wears a utility belt. A gun holster and several knife sheathes are attached. A long pendant dangles from Soul's neck to his chest. The gem looks like some sort of quartz shot though with half a dozen colors.

Soul's face might be even stranger than his outfit. At first glance, his right eye socket looks bigger than the left. An extremely dark ring of black around his right eye socket makes it difficult to tell where his eye starts. This socket has an eye light that looks like a cracked diamond. The other sockets holds an eye light that looks suspiciously like Dream's golden eyes. The only difference is a silver ring that makes the eye look some sort of planet. That side of Soul's face is covered in colorful little shapes that look like stickers.

Each piece of Soul's appearance undermines another. The gun on his hip right on top of his pastel, oversized hoodie is comical. The colorful and childish bracelets around his wrist and ankle are so much sweeter than the thorn-covered vines tangled around his arm. The black ring around his eye makes him look like a raccoon. Each of Soul's features appear to come from a different AU.

".......... And tell me again where you found this thing, Error?" Nightmare mumbles. It's hard to process what he's seeing. A monster's appearance is supposed to reflect where they're from.

"He'S frOm everYwheRe, prEttY mucH," Error replies. He is a bit surprised by Soul's appearance, but can't say that he was expecting something normal. When Error isn't focusing on Soul, something changes out of the corner of his eyes. The vines turn to red chains. Soul's eyes might change to a random color. Instead of a bird on the hoodie, Soul has feathered wings. The strange distortions go back to their original look when Error turns his eyes to look.

Soul wiggles his own fingers in front of his face, fascinated with the gray tips. This is the first time he's ever seen what his own body might look like. His tail swishes around his feet. Soul spins around to try and see it better. He ends up spinning around a few times before managing to grab the end.

"When I do this with Chara, they appear as the way that they think they do," Cross tries to explain, "I have no idea why Soul looks like that."

"I don't know what I look like," Soul shrugs, clutching the end of his bony tail. The holster on his belt catches his attention next, and he starts to fiddle with the buckles.

"You have to have some idea to pick out something so weird," Cross argues. He's been freaking out over Soul's appearance ever since Soul got picked up.

"Nope. Nothing that I remember," Soul dismisses the idea. "Error! Look at this!" Soul's smile turns into a smirk when he levels his gun at Error's head. Before the Destroyer can react, Soul squeezes the trigger. The gun goes of with a small pop. A cloud of glitter and confetti explodes in Error's face.