Chapter Nineteen

A loud bang makes Error jump, though he'd never admit it. That sounded suspiciously like a knock on the manner door. No one knocks on the door of the Nightmare King. Hardly anyone even knows that this AU exists, never mind that fact that a troop of murderers call it home. Error has made sure of it. He protects those that accept him for the lot he was given. Nightmare appears so suddenly and quietly at his side that Error didn't even notice him cross the room.

"Stay out of sight with Cross and Soul," Nightmare snaps, frowning. "I have a bad feeling that your little addition has attracted attention." Nightmare knows that he's suspicious and untrusting by nature, but paranoia has served him well for many years. He has a good guess as to who might behind that door. Nightmare is extremely good at passively sensing negative emotions around him. When he's actually looking for it, many monsters can be identified by patterns in their emotions. Nightmare has come to recognize that lull of resignation and subtle loneliness. Even if he didn't, listening to Soul explain more about himself has lead Nightmare to one conclusion: Soul isn't supposed to exist.

Error grumbles, preferring to simply dust whoever is outside, but gives in and and remains out of sight from the front door. He lurks just around the corner to listen. Soul is standing right at his shoulder, very close to Error, but being careful not to touch him. Cross has stationed himself further away. He keeps very quiet as he tries to listen to the conversation at the front door.

Nightmare doesn't waste time with precautions. He's pissed that someone is in his AU. His tendrils twitch in agitation. Nightmare throws open the door and bestows a hostile look towards the monster on his doorstep. Reaper doesn't flinch. He looks up with a deadpanned expression, also displeased with being here. Reaper is one of the few true neutrals on the Multiverse. He doesn't care about much of anything except for collecting the souls of the dead.

"What do you want?" Nightmare asks, glowering.

"Be happy I knocked," Reaper says, a knowing smirk on his face. "Need I remind you of my role? There's someone here that should've died a long, long time ago. Funny that I only sense them now. But you already know that, don't you?"

"YoU're leaVing," Error mumbles quietly. He yanks on Cross scarf to pull him further from the door, and Soul jumps and rushes after them. Error opens up one of his glitchy portals once he' sure that they can't be heard from the door. He practically shoves Cross through.

"H-Hey! What was that for?" Cross stumbles over his feet and barely avoids falling on his face. Error makes shooing hand gestures at Soul, and after a moment, Soul reluctantly steps through the portal as well.

"ThiS AU wilL reseT in thirTy secOnds. I'll retrIEve Cross frOm X-taLe after the reset, and I'll come fiNd you latEr, Soul," Error explains. He keeps glancing over his shoulder to make sure that Nightmare is keeping Reaper busy at the door.

"Wait-," Cross starts to protest, hating the thought of getting chucked back to a white void, but Error is already snapping the portal closed.

Nightmare watches Reaper pause in the middle of a sentence, his head tilting to the side. "An Outertale copy?" Reaper mumbles, and then "No. Gone again."

"I don't know what you're blabbering on about," Nightmare hisses, making a show of bravado.

Reaper smiles again with that smirk. "Hey, I'm not one to complain about less work," he hums, "But nothing escapes death forever. If Error really cares, he'll do something about it before I find them again." Reaper turns around and the spot and saunters back down the path. A chill runs down Nightmare's spine. There is no reason that Reaper could know those details. Nightmare let's the heavy door slam closed again.